New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zone 23

Let me start by saying this is my first season hunting and my buddy's first time hunting this area with me.

We went out to scout out this area I have been hunting in hopes to find a spot for my buddy. We walked about .27 miles into the woods and came across a nice area between a water source/farm fields and a bedding area. We also noticed a Permanent ground blind in place. The trail leading to it appeared over grown and it didnt look like it was used in a while. We also noticed near this area was a trail cam which appeared to be dead which we left alone. We didnt notice any bait or any signs of people being there so we planned on using this as a spot for a day until we could look for a better area. Keep in mind this is all on public land in wharton state forest. The next day we hunted there and one of my buddies harvested a small deer (it was his first) and we left. I went back to hunt my place which is about a quarter mile from the place where he harvested his deer. I was alone. As im getting ready on the road 2 trucks pull up behind me. A middle aged white guy and an older white guy get out and appeared friendly at first asking me if ive had any luck (which I havent seen anything worth shooting yet) and i said no. The middle aged man WENT OFF. Started cursing saying we walked through his son's bait pile, he has pictures of us printed out, we better not come back there again or him and his son are going to "kick the sh** out of us". He began badgering me about where i hunt back there because he apparently has some permanent stands i may be near. He basically told me not to hunt there anymore unless i want some serious problems. I didnt have a chance to get a word in but i dont want problems i just want to hunt. 90 percent of the time i am alone. im 26 years old and an iraq veteran so it really ticked me off that i was basically having my right taken away to hunt on public land. He also told me to find somewhere else near where i live to hunt and said "why do you have to come all the way out here".

I have no issue with working around this guys spots at all. I wish he would have approached me a little more respectfully. I wouldn't mind moving. I would even apologize for having stepped on his toes. Does anyone have any advice for me? I believe i know where he lives and would like to talk this out maybe he can teach me a few things considering i'm new to this. This was not a good experience and its making me want to find some other zone to hunt in. [down]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I just saw this and put the 2 messages together. Thank you!

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
that area you pmd me about sux it gets hunted hard you got the horseback riders and the local rejects there your on the wrong side of road brotherman

·
Registered
15,843 Posts
I don't know if I could have kept my cool with a screwball like that. I commend you for it. This is hunter harassment and along with the threat to do bodily harm would have had me taking names or at least plate numbers and report these goons. Let them act that way toward a judge.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
The pines are full of guys like that. They not only try to claim the stand, they try to claim the 100 acres around the stand also. I have had a few run ins with guys like that. My advice to you is stand your ground and don't be intimidated. Stay calm and don't get baited into a fight. If they give a problem again. Tell them you are going to contact f&w. Better yet have the 800# for f&w in your phone and call it right then and there. Good luck

Reactions: PizzaMan

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
welcome to public land. sorry to hear you had that experience. I would put the southern regional office # in your phone. if/when that happens again call the C.O. he threatened you. whether your in the woods, in a wawa or at your house its against the law to threaten someone. im in 23 as well. tough hunting. get in deep get in the thick stuff. good luck. Nick

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
First off , Thanks for serving our country . Second I commend you for keeping your temper . I would have lost it for sure. I would go back and hunt where you want to. I would respect there blinds and stands as much as you can . It is public land ,hunt it .Stop at the ranger station and get there number,explain what happened. The guy threatened you. If he gives you any more problems have the ranger on speed dial and call him or the cops . Me personally would handle a little different but lets not go there. Good Hunting . And Thanks Again .

·
Registered
392 Posts
No one likes to have someone else move in to the area they are hunting.As you suggested,he could have handled it in a different matter and everyone would have been happy.In acouple of weeks,"his" spot will get trampled by the orange army anyway.I would give him space and hunt the area.I would also report it to the CO's.They have the time know before the 6 day crazyness starts.If he keeps it up....................[ninja]

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Report this to the COs now! If anything happens you are on record of being threatened. Hunt the area but give him his space. He may try to do something to your vehicle that is why you should report this incident now!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
don't let this guy drive you away. hunt the area just not by his stand thats all. also take his plate # if anything happens to your vehicle while hunting. best of luck to you.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Shit on everything. His camera,bait,and blind. Imagine finding a big steaming pile of shit in your ground blind. Lmao. Then when he is hunting put shit under his car door handles.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts