New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I thought bucks antlers are like our teeth?
To a point look but what Sugar said and I want to say HE KNOWS ABOUT ANTLERS. I have seen bucks shed as early as Dec. OK most were injured but not all.

Those of you who have been in my house have seen a 4 point shed up on the wall by the Elk shed, that particular antler hit the gound during 6 day but the buck did not in fact he lived well into permit bow the following year when he was hit by a car I assume while chasing a doe.
Now this is before I had a trail cam but one cold assume he got a head start on antler growth by shedding so early No?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was thinking it shed early. its neck is very skinny and its hair{coat} seems less puffed or fluffy like all the other sheds ive been seeing. but on the flip side its pedicels look big.? but the deer looks very young? first year leaving the cams out this late so i dont know what im looking at. and the hocks are clean?

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Arent the hocks and shedding BOTHconnected to testosterone levels? Think about it both are just signs of a condition associated with a cycle we all do know bucks basicly go thru puberty each and every year (And we wonder why they get hit by cars).

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i did a little research and it is in fact the first stage of growth. they are fully healed pedicles. this deer just has a little head start on the other ones i have pictures of. its going to be cool watching antlers grow.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dunno, I think that leaf is in the way.
i was just pointing out how the bases are raised a little above his head. all the other shed bucks you cant even see the bases when they look head on at the camera.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.