New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy sent me these pics. I've looked at pics online and cant tell...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Immature red tail, the pale chest is the best identifier in the pic.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
[up] i have 2 that live behind my house. i watch them scoop up gray squirrels all the time. i have to start taping them. awesome to watch they have pin point accuracy[up]

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was also thinking a sharp shinned hawk..

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I was also thinking a sharp shinned hawk..
Way too stocky for that. It's not always easy to tell what species by a picture when you have no size perspective but you should learn the differance between assipiters and beauteos and the basic "feild makings" of the birds. A very good book for this and one that will not take much space in your pack or coat is National Audubon Society pocket guide to North American Birds of Prey isbn 0-679-74923-3
It is full of stuff like that and also gives identifiers for both perched and birds in flight. Hey why should Badkarma and 870 have all the fun?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Way too stocky for that. It's not always easy to tell what species by a picture when you have no size perspective but you should learn the differance between assipiters and beauteos and the basic "feild makings" of the birds. A very good book for this and one that will not take much space in your pack or coat is National Audubon Society pocket guide to North American Birds of Prey
What he said too! [hihi]

[kiss]

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thanks [hihi]

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
It's a chicken hawk!!
They are ALL chicken hawks lol.

Ive had sharpies and coopers both kill chickens. Redtail just dive bomb them and sceer the crap outa them lol. Nothing you can do about it they are protected. I leave the crows alone they dont git tickets for harrasing them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts