New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 6 years old and he seems to be showing interest in going to the range with me. I recently purchased a Marlin Model 60 and I'd love to take him to a WMA range with me. Does anyone know if this is OK to do? I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Well, my daughter came with me to the range at Flatbrook when she was 7. My other daughter is 9. I think its a matter of direct supervision and control. That and u need a current hunting license I believe. I don't have any direct knowledge of rules against it and wouldn't think there is any. Just a matter of having control over them.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The child can be there as a guest of a license holder, but no age limit.

Reactions: Charlie1911

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Eye and ear protection is required too. Oh and if Sweeny's bill becomes law, your model 60 will be considered an assault weapon and you will be a felon. Overnight, no amnesty period.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I took my son at five. He learned safety quickly and even hit a spinner target with his 22. Just keep safety paramount. Taught to keep the rabbit ears which is rear sight even with the rabbits nose which is front sight lol. Worked well. Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eye and ear protection is required too. Oh and if Sweeny's bill becomes law, your model 60 will be considered an assault weapon and you will be a felon. Overnight, no amnesty period.
I heard about that. Who votes for this guy? I'm tired of all these politicians, especially the liberal kind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took my son at five. He learned safety quickly and even hit a spinner target with his 22. Just keep safety paramount. Taught to keep the rabbit ears which is rear sight even with the rabbits nose which is front sight lol. Worked well. Good luck
That's a great analogy. I will use it with my son. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts