New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, it's only my second winter goose season, I don't know if the coming snow, freezing rain, and 10-15mph winds is good or bad for geese.

But tomorrow is the last day :( and I really want to go. I don't know if this bad weather keeps the geese on the ground and they don't move, or do the geese travel in snow and freezing rain like what they are calling for here in South Jersey?

I plan on going unless its a monsoon, but if there's no way the geese move in that kind of weather, I'll just bag it grudgingly.

Also - I assume Big Foots and other decoys with flocked heads are OK to get wet with snow and rain, right? I can't believe that would ruin them, but beings that I haven't gotten them wet yet (other than being in a slight drizzle one time last year) I don't know if I should be careful with the flocked heads or not.

[as I type this, I can hear a flock flying over my house right now :)]

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Horrible day the worst of the year. Just kidding, should be good especially if you are where they want to be

Reactions: Wallew

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Go for it. I love hunting ducks/geese when the snow is coming down.

Like NorthNJHunter said, make sure to keep snow build up off of the decoys.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
No better time to hunt waterfowl than when it's snowing. They fly around more looking for cover and when they spot your spread they usually pour right in without hesitation, I think they have a hard time seeing with the snow hitting their eyes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I haven't duck or goose hunted in years, but this afternoon I was going to tractor supply in Allentown and saw at least a thousand snow geese landing in a horse farm, the sky was full of snow geese, it was pretty cool just ta park there and watch them

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I haven't duck or goose hunted in years, but this afternoon I was going to tractor supply in Allentown and saw at least a thousand snow geese landing in a horse farm, the sky was full of snow geese, it was pretty cool just ta park there and watch them
And then they pour right into that horse farm where no one can touch them. There's always some bird watchers/photographers parking their Subaru's on the side of the road gawking at that flock. They are a sight to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
OK, it's only my second winter goose season
2nd year deer? first year turkey?Youv'e been snorted,almost trampled,turkey almost walked up pecked your neck,nearly trampled by horses,spent an enormous amount on equiptment,licenses and permit's,come home,the wife ask's how did you do,grogle $%^@ thats nice dear.What keep's you going?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2nd year deer? first year turkey?Youv'e been snorted,almost trampled,turkey almost walked up pecked your neck,nearly trampled by horses,spent an enormous amount on equiptment,licenses and permit's,come home,the wife ask's how did you do,grogle $%^@ thats nice dear.What keep's you going?
This was my second year turkey, really first full year deer (I did try winter bow in '14 as my first season). Yeah, been snorted at and busted, turkey could've pecked my neck for all I know beings he was behind me when he busted me, never saw any horses (wasn't me, u must have confused me with someone else), and yeah, spent an ENORMOUS amount to get started on all of this. And yeah, wife and kids ask all the time when I get back - "so, see anything?" (note: they are smart enough not to ask if I killed anything - at this point, its success if I just SEE anything :)) to which I normally say, "I watched a robin sing and a squirrel climb a tree".

:)

I will say, I'm souring on deer hunting, but probably because I suck at it :) I'm not giving up, I just don't think I have enough experience and knowledge yet. But I have much more fun goose and turkey hunting (its no surprise since I've harvested goose and turkey already - zilch on the deer).

So what keeps me going? I've found I love being outdoors - someone on here said it was their chapel - that's a good way to put it. And I'm in my forties and felt like I wasted 30 of them by not getting into hunting sooner, so now I'm trying to get it all in before I get old and decrepit and can't get up out of my chair :) Golf and fishing is fun, but those are really only a warm-weather/summer thing for me - I needed a cold-weather/winter hobby.

Anyway, I'm planning on getting to my friend's farm tomorrow in the rain and snow and see if I can get a goose or two. Last time I waffled about going hunting in the rain, I ended up deciding to go anyway and had a great time harvesting a fall turkey on the last day of the season. So I'm hoping I have the same karma this time - it is the last day of season again, pouring rain again - maybe that's my magical combination!

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Ducks and geese love bad weather. Foul weather is fowl weather

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ducks and geese love bad weather. Foul weather is fowl weather
Wow! You ain't kidding! So glad I went out this morning. I got there at a little before 7 - and the action started picking up earlier than normal! They started coming in at about 7:20am - I hardly finished setting up what little decoys I had. Rain/freezing rain was just a drizzle, not a bother at all. But man, they just kept coming and coming and coming. Hundreds of them!

Of course, first flock to land was in the place I setup LAST time when I got nothing - they were 100 yards away. [email protected]#$% I had another flock flying low, and I took my first shot and harvested my very first bird on the wing! Saw the bird stop flapping, and hit the ground with a thud! I couldn't believe it. Got him! That caused the first flock that landed 100yds away to fly away. I had another flock land just outside my decoys, unfortunately, they were at a bad angle and just out of range. I watched them for 5 minutes waiting them out to come closer, but something spooked them and they flew away. Still awesome watching them feeding in the field. I had another flock land in that same spot as the first. Dang it!!!!??!? Its where I setup last time!! Well, I tried sneaking up on them just to see if I could, they caught me and flew away - but they flew almost on top of me. However, I think they were too high - took three shots and missed all three. I guess that's what they call skybusting :)

Anyway, my best day of goose hunting for sure. Lots of action. I was home by 9am! Harvested one bird, but I didn't need my limit to have an awesome day. Very exciting. Too bad its the last day.

I guess rainy last day of seasons really are good karma for me :)

goose-jan-2015.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts