New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer, but since I never tried, would like to get a definitive answer.

Have a Remington 870 with 28" smooth bore, ribbed barrel and (now) a 23" rifled slug barrel with a nice Nikon 2x7 scope.

Suppose I zero in the scope with the slug barrel. Now I take off the scoped slug barrel, put on the smooth bore barrel to go shoot trap or whatever, then I take the smooth bore barrel off again and put back on the scoped slug barrel. Is that scoped slug barrel out-of-zero now - will I need to zero it in again?

I assume its out of zero now, but I dunno.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
No. If the scope is attached to the barrel and not the receiver your zero should be good.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Like Stevo said !!! Is your slug barrel Cantilever, like this ? if it is, your good to go, just pay attention not to knock the scope into anything, or drop it.......then there is a chance you would have to re-sight it in

barrel.jpg

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
I have detachable Leupold scope rings for when I travel. I remove my scope and place in my carry on baggage. I then reattach when I reach my destination. Always check before hunting, but scope has always been on.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You should be fine. I have a cantilever and switch back and forth. Though as others have said, its a good idea to check your zero before hunting with it, but I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
When I had my 870 with a cantilever barrel on it, if I ever took the barrel off I always took it to the range for a shot or two to make sure the zero was good, it never did change but peace of mind is priceless.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I do plan on taking a shot or two at the range before hunting with it just in case. You never know if you banged it and jarred it out of zero. But its good to know it holds its zero when barrel is taken on/off.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I change mine back and forth with 4 barrels ( smooth VR, open sight when driving, Hastings slug barrel for use in climbers, and Hasting bull barrel for edge of fileds) and never had a problem. I do tranport in a hard case with any extra barrel in the hard case to prevent getting knocked around.

The only issue is if you have a "scout barrel" for long eye relief and have the extention to use a regular scope, be carefull as the end of the extention need to touch the reciever. These are very finicky.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have found that the zero changes slightly for me. Groups are relatively the same but they move from say 3 grouping slightly low and left to slightly high after a swap. I'm talking a difference of an inch or less so I don't worry about it. This is a hastings cantilever barrel on a browning 12g bps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts