New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hav a small 11 acre piece i hut. Always has action. I hav a tree stand right on the trail...it is plenty high, I know my mvment is disciplined, but i always have trouble with a few mature does that just wont leave me alone....havent dead on pinned me or busted me, but they get very weary and alert the others. i killed a few bucks from the stand so cant complain but should i retreat the stand farther bak off the run??? Only other factor is smell....I make an effort but cant say it's perfect ( guess it never will be). Am i too close to the run where they are gonna sense me regardless??

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
If you decide to move it wait until next season. They are used to seeing it there now and a move will really throw them off. There will always be Does that are smarter than you lol. They learn as they get older that it is the time of year to watch out for hunters and are always alert. The real PIA ones are the ones that know hunters are up and come threw looking in the trees.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
like they said, i would back up off the trail and diagnol to give you a quartering to or away shot. Also this gives you added concealment and you won't be in there sight line.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If you decide to move it wait until next season. They are used to seeing it there now and a move will really throw them off.
With that thought in mind, if you have a second portable, set it up off the run. The deer will be checking the first stand to see if you are there, while you are in the 2nd seat.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Depends if there is a tree that will work off the trail. If not then you can't do much about it. If there is you may want to try the second stand suggestion.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys...all sound advise...i may abandon the stand and pull it after feb....use my climber to move around for winter bow....tnx again.....

·
Registered
705 Posts
On only 11 acres you have to be careful not to push the deer off with too much disturbance.

Thats probbaly why the old does have your number.

On small pieces its sometimes best to hunt only on an edge thats easy to acess and good for our prevaling winds.

But no matter what you do the mature does are hard to fool for long.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You should definitely move off the run. It will present you with better shots. Also, are you using that deer trail to access your stand? If you are walking down the run to get in your stand that is probably why they get weird even if the don't see/bust you. Move off the trail and watch your entry/exit.[up]

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Other than a better shot angle you have to keep in mind that if you're not using rubber gloves when you're climbing your stand you are leaving scent. Scent that is proven to linger for at least one day. If it's close to the trail the deer will be picking up the scent of danger and may be choosing a different travel route.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
With that thought in mind, if you have a second portable, set it up off the run. The deer will be checking the first stand to see if you are there, while you are in the 2nd seat.
Best advice on this thread works like a charm for urbanized deer[up]

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I never sit on the trail!!!![wallmad]
you get a better shot angle form 20 yards off the trail anyhow. 20 yard shot should be easy for most so I always recommend 15-20 yards off trail

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I'm assuming your stand is at least 15 yds off the trail. Listen to Broadhead with the scent control. Then Bring your climber when the wind is right. Climband leave a scent free pillow or one of your suits up there. Then set your climber 15-20 yds off and across from your hang on. They will come by and investigate your old stand while you get from the new stand. Only you know where they come from and how they react but you get my drift. Just don't let them get yours.[patcheye][up]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts