New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a waterfowl hunter at all. I don't know the rules for hunting them.

My my question is is it legal to dump bait in front of your blinds on the water?
I know baiting is legal for deer but not sure about waterfowl.

I was was fishing a very popular place yesterday and observed 2 guys dumping well over a couple hundred pounds of corn in the water in front of their duck blind. I couldn't even tell you if the season is even open. They asked me not to call a warden which raised a red flag so I took some video of them in their boats while they were dumping. If it's legal it doesn't seem very ethical.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
BTW: that is FEDERAL regulations too; that's not just state law. It is breaking federal fish-n-game laws if you bait for waterfowl.

SUMMARY OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS
The following is a synopsis of Federal Regulations that pertain to the hunting of migra-
tory game birds. More information can be found at:
http://njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/waterfowl_federal_regs.pdf or by calling the US Fish
and Wildlife Service Law Enforcement Office at 908-787-1321.
No persons shall take migratory game birds:

By the aid of baiting, or on or over any baited area, where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trust me I have 0 issue with the wardens doing what they need to do. Just needed to know if it was illegal as I've stated I've never waterfowl hunted at all. I have really clear video of these guys in ther duck boats dumping pound after pound of corn in the water in front of a duck blind.

Is waterfowl season open?

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
No, it is not legal....smh...can't believe they actually asked you not to call a "warden"....lmao hope they get busted

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Its illegal. Unless it is completly removed for 10 days. If they put that much bait that site will be baited for a month. Report these guys. Where is this at because someone else could get busted for hunting near it with out even knowing it. It would blow if a youth gets busted

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Gunning waterfowl over bait will produce a fine of epic proportion with possible jail time depending on the amount of birds taken. In most cases a state warden will buddy up with a federal warden and the fine is doubled ( one for the state and one for the government) In any case this is one of the biggest DON'T DO THIS in waterfowling. The area is still considered baited 10 days after the bait is removed and anyone caught gunning the area is subject to fines as well.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.