New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all guns must be cased in your vehicle,but when driving thru the woods in daylight,is it ok to have your guns in a gun rack that's visible ??..or how about giving a lift to a buddy to get his truck and he jumps in the back of the bed of truck...does he need a case??

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Page 27 under Strictly Prohibited.

Transporting an uncased firearm in or on
a motor vehicle or ATV or transporting a
cocked crossbow in or on a motor vehicle
or ATV
That means pretty much whenever/whatever you are driving (motor vehicle or ATV), it needs to be cased 100% of the time when you are moving.

jpiney43, how long have you been hunting? This law has been the same since I started 20 years ago? [confused]

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
let me know how you make out with that.
Yeah really. They definitely MUST be cased. Now, the definition of a "case" isn't defined in the compendium...perhaps something they should add. From what I understand, it can be a soft or hard case, even a gun sock (i.e. a type of soft "case"). Either way, it must be unloaded and "cased" (not sure a tarp or newspaper will fly though) during transport.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jpiney43, how long have you been hunting? This law has been the same since I started 20 years ago?
32 YEARS..Its for the Newbies..thought it might help someone with 6 day coming up.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You have been in NJ how long? [rofl] and you ask something like this? [rofl]in this state? [rofl]the one that has stores thinking they cant sell ammo on Sundays? [rofl]
Oh thank you piney, after the day I have had trying to find out wheter it was my town or the local antis putting up signs, I needed a good chuckle, thanks

We should be happy we dont have to disassemble our guns into parts and unstring and uncable our bows to transport them. [rofl]

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
A gun sock is fine. We were checked a couple years ago. When they asked if I had a gun I went in the truck and got it. Never said anything when I pulled the gun out in the sock.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i had my gun leaning against my atv,and was kindly warned by 3 COs that is considered a uncased gun,just something to remember when coming out of the woods or taking photos in the back of a truck

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Hunterdan199,

You finally pick a time to try to add value to a thread and you're dead wrong....

I guess you should stick to just replying with smilies...[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
163 Posts
As I was leaving the back of a clubs Van I had the gun partially uncased and was pulled aside to be written a ticket but I flashed LEO Credentials and got off with a warning. Also seen a guy with his barrel hanging out of a hole in the case and was given a warning.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My buddies and I had our shotguns uncased on a rack in our trucks growing up in Park Ridge in the 60's. We'd hunt after school or skip school. My dad literally hunted on the way to school in the same town, left his shotgun outside against the brick wall of the school and went to class. He then hunted on the way home, checked his traps, and fed his family. Hard to believe but true. Now if I head to Cherry Ridge to shoot I feel like a criminal in my van. Sick.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
it is legal to have an uncased gun in a vehicle as long you have an open container of alcohol and live in texas

1 - 20 of 52 Posts