New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved in fletching arrows,I'm getting tired of paying for something that seems like I can do myself.

·
Registered
612 Posts
DBuck

It's quite easy, Been doing it for years now and I even crest my arrows. There are many jigs on the market, Their all good. I use a Bitzenberger. Once the jig is set, your on the way. The key is to have a clean shaft, free of any oil or dirt. It's similar to handloading in a way. Experimenting with different Helical's, Vanes, fletch's and degree settings making the arrow fly true. Try it you will never regret it especially if you shoot a lot and chew up arrows.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dbuck, its very easy!

I recommend the following.

*ARC EZ-fletcher (the bitz, and jo-jan are nice jigs too)
*AAE fastset glue (sets in seconds)
*Eze Crest arrow wraps (prevents you from having to scrape off all the glue residue, just peel and re-wrap)
*AAE plastifletch elite vanes (durable)
OR
*Truflight feathers (quality)

Things to remember;

Most importantly; DONT USE TOO MUCH GLUE! Just a nice even bead down the center of the fletch base.

DONT apply too much pressure when applying the vanes to the shaft.

Set all vanes at the same spot in the jig arms everytime. I set mine all the way to the back. If you set yours forward of that, make a mark. You dont want arrows with fletchings further forward or back.

CLEAN the shafts, and make sure not to touch them before fletching. Nail polish remover makes a good cleaner (acetone).

Some carbons require a light scuffing with fine-grit sandpaper to get a good bond.

Like I said, its easy! It can be fun, and it saves money. Good luck-Matt

·
Registered
282 Posts
diddo to matty and fletch. just a couple of things to add; i use ajax on a paper towel and rinse with water.very important to make sure they are dry after you rinse under water and DONT touch the end of the shafts. i prefer this to acetone but its a personnal preference and i NEVER lost a fletch except for shooting them off. also steelforce glue is excellent along with their arrow prep spray. you can buy them together in a package or just the glue.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Its easy, and fun. Esp. if you get into traditional, or even just shooting feathers, and start splicing feathers.

Reloading..now thats something perplexing..

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to see if there is a How to Video out there some where.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Bohning puts out a video on how to do it...I've never seen it so I cant say if its good or not...But I flech all my own arrows its easy to do and saves some money as well...The steelforce is awsome glue...It really cuts down on the amount of time it takes to fletch an arrow

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matty says the ARC EZ fletcher...I'm on ebay right now looking

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
[/]click
These are very fast to use, and very foolproof for a beginner. The only thing you cant do is change the degree of offset or helical. You can however buy different arms that make it r/h, l/h, or straight offset.

Most shops use Bitzenburger jigs because they are more versatile with different clamps, but some shops use these ez-jigs exclusively. They really put the arrows out FAST. I can do a dozen well made arrows in about 10-15 minutes.
[up]

The jig should go for about $40, and extra arms should be about $15 for those of you looking at it

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Matty...is there a seperate clamp for the [no swearing please] feather down? All my arrows are [no swearing please] feather down but now I'm using the Whisker biscuit so I don't think it matters. What do you think about the way feather/vanes should be for the biscuit. Does the ez fletch do Carbon and aluminum or do you have to have 2 differant jigs?...Thanks for all the help.[up]

oh also can these jigs be used for the 2" Bohning blazers?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dbuck, the Ez fletch can do any nock/ [no swearing please] fletch orientation. The nock reciever twists in the bottom.

The aluminum model can do the newer ICS style carbon arrows. (Ones with inserts and uni-nocks)

It will not do the thin carbons with outserts and overnocks though.

For the new whisker bisciut models I suggest [no swearing please] fletch up.

Hope that helps----Matt

KRIS if you see this man, Im leaving in five minutes![up]

·
Registered
282 Posts
i like the bitzenberger cause you can really expirement with a lot of different things. be more than happy to show anyone that wants to learn. let me know and we can set up a day .

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Matty,

I've got a few questions for you:
1) I'm a lefty, what offset should I be using R/H, L/H, or straight?
2) I shoot Beman Hunter ICS carbons, does that mean I should get the aluminum jig?
3) How many arrows does it do at once: one or several?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
David,

The Ez fletch only does one arrow at a time, but it does all three fletches at once.

I use Beman, and Easton ICS arrows as well, and the Aluminum model works well for those. Anything smaller such as the newer Easton Axis is too small for the aluminum jig.

Helical is more a matter of personal choice these days. Of course there are variables though, so let me know more about your setup and I can give my suggestion on RH/LH/ST. (Rest, release or fingers, broadhead, etc, they all make a difference in your choice).

It used to be that RH shooters would shoot left helical fletching so the arrow would spin away from the bow, but with todays cut-out risers, shot with release aids thats no longer necessary.

One more thing to consider is Right Helical keeps tips tight and LH loosens them. Of course the simple cure for that is wax on the threads.

Hope that helps-Matt

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Matty,

I'm shooting a 2005 Hoyt Ultramag with a Whisper Biscuit rest. I use a Scott Archery Mongoose release. My arrows are Beman ICS Hunter 400s. And like I said, I'm a lefty.

So far I've been using these arrows pre-fletched with either feathers (last years arrows) or vanes (this years). What do you suggest?

Thanks,
David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts