New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and I will be hunting boar in TN this week with an outfitter we booked a hunt with at the Harrisburg show. I don't have much experience with this type of hunt and was wondering how others handle gratuity and what criteria you use to determine it. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes, always tip the guide outfitter, 10-15% cost of hunt.
I wish you were one of my clients when I used to guide:DAvg tip was about $100 for a $2750 hunt. you should only tip your guide if you feel he went above and beyond,the actual outfitter is sometimes rarely seen once the hunt is booked.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Yes, always tip the guide outfitter, 10-15% cost of hunt
That works on a lower end hunt. If you go on a $15,000.00 brown bear hunt or a $50,000.00 desert big horn sheep hunt it would cost you $2250.00 for the bear hunt and $7500.00 for the sheep hunt. The 10% to 15% works on the less expensive hunt.

How may days will you be in the field and what is the cost of the hunt?

If it's a three day hunt and you are satisfied with your guides efforts $100-$200 would be a very good tip.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
If it's a three day hunt and you are satisfied with your guides efforts $100-$200 would be a very good tip.
I agree.

The problem arises when you have more then one guide though out the hunt !

I've had this happen several times lately.
On one 5 day hunt I had three different guides take me to my stands. Plus I always feel obligated to tip the cook.
Remember to tip the cook.

I only tip the outfitter if he was my actual guide, other then that, the fee he charges for the hunt is his pay.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Tip what you feel their worth. I tip 10% on a $2500 hunt. Ive tipped less and Ive tipped more. Depends on how much the guide does. (And his attitude).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is it a fair chase hunt or preserve? I wouldn't tip a guide on a preserve hunt unless he did something above and beyond showing you around the enclosure.
Even at that only a about 50 bucks.
I tipped my Newfoundland guide $400 because he was relentless. That is about 10% the cost of the hunt not including other expenses like travel etc.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I tipped my Newfoundland guide $400 because he was relentless.
that's right on. tip your guide according to how hard he worked. remember that the guides are only employees and they work pretty much for tips.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Outfitters never should be tipped but you should tip your guide. 10-15 percent

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I don't go with percentages, I go with what I feel he/she did. I usually give a $300-$350 tip, the hunts usually cost $1200-$1500. How personable, what all did they do.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
10-15% cost of hunt
I dont agree with this. You tip the guide for how hard he worked to get you your animal. No way I am going to drop $500 tip for some of the hunts I went on.

Anticosti cost me about $3000 total for a 4 day hunt. The guide did a good job for us 4 guys. I gave him $200 and the other 3 guys gave him 100. Thats $500 for four days plus his pay. Thats more then fair I think.

Let me ask you guys this that think you should tip 10 to 15 % of the cost. You get your limmit the first night on stand . What do you tip since the guide is now done with you.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
This is the quide I had for the Maine bear trip

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
It depends on how the hunt is set up.12 of us went to east Texas and had 2 guides and for the most part all they did was drive us to and from the stands on a 3 day hunt.I think we gave the cook a better tip then the guides.There was no way they were going to get a 10-15% tip.On my Montana and Alaska hunts I had no problem with myself giving a $500-$1000 tip.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I dont agree with this. You tip the guide for how hard he worked to get you your animal
So if you went to say Maine and saw nothing all week due to weather. You wouldn't tip your guide? Is it all based on you getting your animal or how hard the guide worked?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.