New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a large central Nj sport shop. There was a guy at the crossbow counter trying to make a sale on a hign end cross bow. What I heard come out of his mouth made me cringe.[mad]
The guy asked how far he could shoot a deer with it. The guy trying to make the sale replied. With this scope you can shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards and can kill deer up to 80 yards with it. WTF!!! I had to bite my tounge! Talk about an irresponsible statement. If he is telling all the customers that there will be some longe range irresponsible shooting going on. He should be saying that the effective range is just like a compound 30-40yds tops. This is the last thing we need while the 150ft law is still hanging out there. The last thing we need is to give fuel to the fire of the other side[wallmad]
This is not a crossbow bashing thread. It is an A HOLE salesman bashing thread[down]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
agreed for NJ, but if you go out west for elk with the bow you should be lethal at 50 yards + with you compound.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I wonder if I was at the same shop today.

I listened to a salesman telling this guy all about a cross bow and hunting with it and the guy looking to buy it was afraid to handle the thing.

And these people are going to be out in the woods?

This is getting scary. I need to stay out of the stores. Ignorance is bliss...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. But if you are planning a trip like that you pratice at those ranges. This guy told him once you sight it in your good out to those ranges. Big difference there.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on calling the store manager and informing him.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
some people will do or say anything for a sale
Thats how we got crossbows here in the first place.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
is there anything false about the salesmans comment? will it group at 50yds? is it capables of killing at 80? the answer is yes to both. will they be ethical shots? thats up for debate

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
agreed as well njbowman[up]

also to dawgs, you have a good point as well, the answer is correct to both in the correct situation and the proper hands.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is false because he mislead the guy by making him think that once it is sighted in he is good to go. No practice involved. The LAST thing we need is an accident in the first year because salesmen have hunters thinking the weapon can do things it wasn't meant to and inturn they are out there taking shots they shouldn't.
Like I said I am not bashing crossbows, I enjoyed shooting the ones I have tried. We just need a 100% safe first season with them. Nuff said!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have a high end xbow but becuese it is so loud i dont think any shot pass 30 is ethical also i have a lot of time in shooting mine and there is no way you can shoot out pass 30 off hand and that take a lot of practice. These guys who think ther gonna be shooting these things out pass 300 let alone 50 and 60 better wakeup

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
My 30-06 rounds says dangerous up to 5 miles, should i shoot at a deer that far! Crossbows lose substantial kinetic energy at that distance where a heavier compound arrow retains more energy, still I would not shoot at a deer with my compound pass 45 yards. On a Manitoba hunt I practiced every day for 4 months out to 45 yards! Just because my bow can shoot 100 yards doesn't mean it's ethical to do it!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If its capable of 2 inch groups out to 50 yards.
If its capable of taking deer at 80 yards.
I don't see this as misleading.

Many compounds, recurves, longbows are capable of those things, some even more so than a crossbow.

I'm one of those crazy folks that really believes that there will be no more accidents or unrecovered animals had the hunter been using a crossbow rather than a bow.

Or, just go to your closest archery range a week before opening day to see how many hunters there should not be shooting at deer past 15 yards. Even though we on this forum say its OK to shoot up to 40 yards. Are we being misleading?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
A guy who practices out to 40 yards should be able to make that shot providing he practices, and uses good common sense. No one should take an unethical shot, but if you practice and take a deliberate shot at a feeding/relaxed animal! Then that shot can be taken! Most of the guys I see at a practice range, that picked up their bow this week, shouldn't attempt this shot, But I shoot all year, guys I shoot with shoot all year! I've watched them hit bulleyes out to 80 yards, but they would never take that shot in the woods! But under the right circumstances I can see them taking a shot at 40 yards as pretty much a slam dunk for them!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.