New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me please...if I get an invisable fence for the dog and not get it under ground before it freezes (which would probably happen) how does the snow on top of it effect it? Will it still work?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
it should still work. i don't think it will be a problem. just watch out for the kids from tripping over the wire.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i don't think they'll trip, I was going to put in in the side yard or a section of the back yard. They don't play there, no matter how much I yell at them...it's not close enough to the busy street I guess. (mainly talking about the big kids) Little ones always have to go to the back!

I was just worried with the amounts of snow we get up here that it wouldn't be able to send the signal. I've heard if a dog can run fast enough or jump high enough the "zap" is only minimal, doesn't faze them and they can get out. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
It will be fine.

Any dog can run through it but they generally don't. Both of my dogs constantly test it and know when the batteries are dead, however they will usually not leave the yard. They will ignore the pain if a bear comes around and chase and tree it. Bears are just too much fun not to chase.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok after teh computer keep freezing, took an hour to virus scan and then it was a matter of deleting a millions pups...I got to view your video.

OMG LMAO Paul! and I thought you were serious! Needed the laugh though. Thanks!!!!
Shell

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL about the bears! Haven't had in the yard that I know of, but they've been seen at all the schools...even looking in the widows. My kids all walk, we're just a couple of blocks from each school so bears are a worry.

·
Registered
375 Posts
One thing to keep i mind with invisible fence and bird dogs. I worked with a trainer who had a customers young bird dog that chased birds in the yard and got zapped by the invisible fence and became "bird shy". He was lucky the dog was able to over come it, but it took time.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I've used invisible fences for my dogs,a couple of them would take the zap to get out of the yard but wouldn't take it to get back in. Laying it on the ground(done it) leaves it more vulnerable to breakage also.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys! She's a 2 1/2 year old golden retriever, but she was never trained to hunt/retrieve anything.
I just want to be able to let her go out in the yard and play for awhile without having to worry. The invisable fence would be a temp fix for now. Can't get the real fence in until the sewer goes in next spring.
This staying in the house and only going for long walks I know just isn't enough for her. How much ball or fetch can you play in the house before someone gets knocked down or something broken??!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts