New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As little as I care for it, I spend an incredible amount of time drafting form letters and doing all I can to fight the anti's. After reading that article, I did in fact send an e-mail to my local PBS station. Below is the actual text. I realize that many hunters don't bother with the political arena, but then again it's the right-wing nut jobs like me that keep the anti's from passing anything... ;-)

I am disgusted by the decision of PBS to can Tom Phillips' non-biased documentary, “Bears: Too Close for Comfort”. An educated public with knowledge of the facts is much more desirable than a public that acts out of sheer emotion, as many anti-hunting groups do. By seeking advice from the NJ attorney general, PBS practically claimed political affiliation. I realize these comments may well fall on deaf ears, and it may not have any bearing on this station anyway, since WHYY is out of Philadelphia, but I feel that our opinion should be known. "Our" refers to the collective sentiment of all New Jersey hunters that I know and/or associate with. I would like to see “Bears: Too Close for Comfort” rescheduled and aired. If you would like a petition with a couple hundred signatures, that could be arranged as well. Please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Chip Haldeman

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the reason a lot of hunters don't bother is they are not really sure how to word things. I send e-mails and call phone numbers as often as I can. I know each voice and opinion counts! If you EVER need signatures on any of these petitions let me know. I'll be the first to sign. I think a lot of guy's here and other boards will sign as well. They feel more comfortable signing a petition then trying to put it in thier own words. Thanks for taking the time to fight the good fight! .. Jim

B

·
0 Posts
NJN News is your typical state run news channel, they will air only those things that will help the state. Back in September we held a rally for a new contract NJN News gave it 13 sec. air time, when I emailed them, they stated it wasnt in the best interest of the state, so with that said it shows me that this station follows the NJ Goverment

·
3,413 Posts
Sir,

Sorry, but I really don't buy your statement. Bears: Too Close for Comfort was pulled because NJN was afraid to deal with a few animals rights activists, that had signed releases no less, who after the fact felt that they acted like asses and didn't want the program aired because it portrayed them for what they really are.

You caved in, and in the process have lost what credibility NJN might have had in my eyes.

Respectfully,

Brian M. Dolobacs
UBNJ Legislative Liaison &
Mercer County Rep
609-731-2057
[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 11:29 AM
Subject: Bears: Too Close for Comfort

Thank you for contacting us regarding the program Bears: Too Close for Comfort. Your feedback is important to us. We would like to take this opportunity to point out that NJN’s programming decisions are based on quality, appeal to our viewers, appropriate content, factual integrity, balance, and other technical considerations, without regard to the level of controversy a particular program might generate.

Again, we appreciate your taking the time to write to us. We are forwarding your comments to our programming committee for their consideration as they plan for future broadcasts.

Freddie Chisholm
Director, Membership

·
3,413 Posts
This was my follow up:

"At the time this was happening, two people interviewed for the film, and who were outraged at the final product, came forward and asked NJN to both remove their names as consultants and to not air it at all. This important factor, aligned with the serious errors within the film, gave us the authority to get the film pulled. To this end, we organized our forces and had them contact NJN.

Our efforts were successful. Indeed, the Star-Ledger editorial page credited the "well-oiled animal rights machine" which "blitzed the station with more than 1,000 e-mail, fax and telephone protests" for getting the film removed from the schedule."

You caved. Period, facts be damned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts