New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Robert,

7 years ago I was looking for a pointing fox red lab. I found a lot of good kennels and info on these sites. You can search for the exact specifications you want.

American Pointing Labrador Association - Pups for Sale

Retriever Puppies For Sale - Lab Puppies, Golden Puppies, Chessie Puppies

Obviously, you will want to do your due diligence researching any breeder and their litter histories before making a decision. I ended up finding a yellow lab pup in Iowa that was everything I wanted from a breeder who was more concerned with the well being of his litters than making money (initially, he wasn't keen on the idea of sending a pup with great hunting genes to NJ).

After many phone conversations, emails and pedigree research, I pulled the trigger and have the best dog I could ask for right now.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Robert

Just my two cents. If you are looking for a hunting dog then I would be chasing down genes not necessarily color. The reason I say this is bc when limiting your selection by a rare color like fox red or white or any of the none standard colors you tend to shrink your gene pool. And when a gene pool shrinks problems arise. Not to say a fox red can't just pop up but more times then not breeders pick mates to throw those colors instead of picking the best or most medically and mentally sound dogs to breed. For a hunting dog to preform at the highest level first and foremost they need to be physically sound and then the mental aspect of trainabiltiy comes into play. I to like the way the fox reds look but because I want the best dog possible to fitting needs I look at color last. Worst thing that can happen is you get a puppy and put two years of work into a dog and all of a sudden you find out it has bad hips and it can barely walk at 3. Now that can happen regardless but why not stack the chips in your favor. As with Dirtyjerz I too run in APLA and will be at the fall test this year up in PA. If that is something you are interested in come on up and meet some great people. Best of luck

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Not keen on sending a dog with a "great" pedigree to NJ?? That's a pretty dumb statement from a "breeder"....some of the best pro's and amature trainers not to mention some top dogs reside in this state....and this region is probably one of the toughest ht/ft circuits...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My brother got his two from Noble Comrade Labradors. They are great family pets, absolutely beautiful dogs and good (not great but better then average) hunting dogs. The good not great is more a lack of time and effort training them. Zero health issues. (320) 453-2393. Or I have a retarded black lab that that doesnt know his name or how to sit at three yo. You can breed him with any rescue dog from pet smart and still come up with a dog that is adequate for hunting Jersey Ditch Chickens. In all seriousness it all depends what you want the dog for. The fox labs are beautiful and are great family pets as well as adequate hunters. My Black lab is a great family pet, a ditch chicken machine a strong swimmer and sucks as a duck dog. Get what you want and love him or her up.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not keen on sending a dog with a "great" pedigree to NJ?? That's a pretty dumb statement from a "breeder"....some of the best pro's and amature trainers not to mention some top dogs reside in this state....and this region is probably one of the toughest ht/ft circuits...
+1 ....

·
Registered
808 Posts
20150106_170525.jpg
20141109_095558-1.jpg
20150315_153301.jpg

I got mine from east coast kennels located in milestone NJ five years ago and I cant possibly say enough about ECK. My fox red (Sam) comes everywhere I go. From the woods to the boat and everywhere in between. Lisa and tony run a top not breeder. If you google it it will come right up. Pm me if you have any questions about Sam , (my fox red)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Deuce- His hesitation came more from me living in an urban area next to nyc rather than having an issue with the entire state. I should have been more clear. He wasn't a big time breeder himself but used them for their stud services.

Back when I started researching dogs, I was told several times the same advice that bmelvin stated which I decided to heed. After these past few years being involved with hunting dogs, I am glad I did. Not saying you can't find quality fox reds out there, but when a dog is bred for one specific trait, a lot of the time it will be to the detriment of other desired traits.

I definitely recommend checking out some hunt tests or retriever/pointer meet ups. I was really wet behind the ears when I first started looking and the amount I learned from talking with the folks involved was immeasurable.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dirty thank you very much. Those are mostly his sheds from this past year. With the exception of a match set i found while he was off at agility training with the wife. I swear he came home and was jealous that he didnt come with me. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
There was a kennel up near Birmington, NY that had great looking reds. Both field and english. Willow Road Kennels, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 41987
View attachment 41988
View attachment 41989

I got mine from east coast kennels located in milestone NJ five years ago and I cant possibly say enough about ECK. My fox red (Sam) comes everywhere I go. From the woods to the boat and everywhere in between. Lisa and tony run a top not breeder. If you google it it will come right up. Pm me if you have any questions about Sam , (my fox red)
That's a great looking dog. I will definitely have to check them out!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts