New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The whole winter has gone by and I havent been able to do much scouting(because of work and an extensive "honey do list").I hunt a piece in zone 13 with pop that I know like the back of my hand so no worries there but I just started bow hunting Picatinnay Arsenal and there is a whole lot of land to cover. I have a couple of areas I want to key on but I have not even scouted yet I know I have the spring but I have found my most effective scouting has been in the winter.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spltlim,do you work at picatinny?I think you have to be military active or retired,or a dod employee to join.
I actually have a nice topo map of the arsenal. Thats how I narrowed down my chioces on where to scout but I still have to get out there.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
You'll be fine. I see all kinds of decent bucks going in and out of Rt. 15 into Picatinny. And, yes, lots of road kill bucks too.

Try down by those abandoned rail tracks....and then go deeper (away from Rt. 15). I always thought Picatinny would be good for the shotgun... cause lots of guys push the deer across Bershire Valley Rd. from the Rockaway River WMA.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure but I think you have to be active. I can get info for you tommorrow. I'll get you the contact Number.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drag, I wont hunt shotgun at Picatinny all they do is drive and drive and drive.its just not my thing. I shot a nice big 5 point 2 years ago it weighted 154#. The great thing about Picatinny is there are only about 10 guys that bow hunt it regularly and there are over 6000 acers.during the gun season it turns into a war zone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts