New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a deck in my v-hull boat and can't find any styrofoam to put underneath it. I remember years ago you used to be able to buy large blocks of it about 1'x2'x4'... I used to use it as an archery target. I can't find it anywhere now. Anybody know where I can look?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Go to any builders supply and ask for foundation insulation, foamular or dow square edge styrofoam comes in thickness of 1 1/2" or 2" and sheets 2' x 4' or 4' x 8'.

Give me your location and Ill get you a number to call.
Im in the commercial concrete foundation business. It costs about .90 cents a square foot so sheets range from 12 - 14 bucks depending on how much you buy.

Home depot might even carry it, try asking for rigid insulation or foundation insulation.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Another idea, walmart carrys archery targets blocks, must be 2'x2'x 1', cost like 10-15 bucks.
Rip the plastic off the styrofoam and use it.

Dennis

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked into that but wasn't sure if I should use it or not. Is it closed cell styrofoam? I couldn't find any info on the label and when I asked at the HD and a local lumber yard, they looked like I just aske them to divide 25487 by 346.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
fj =73.66 Get yourself some of that pink builders foam you see on new houses. I believe its 3 to 4 inches thick. When I had my old boat I used this stuff. I doubled it up and glued it together with construction adhesive(liquid nails). It is easier to cut because it is so dense.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The pink foam comes in 4" thick pieces but its special order, any construction material yard you go to will carry 2" or 1 1/2". Yes it is true closed cell, if you want to read about it go to this web site

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/insulation/products/foamular.asp

I can tell you where to buy it, just let me know what county you are in. Again Ive never built a boat so I could not tell you but if you are alooking for closed cell styrofoam, the building insulation is definitely closed cell, pourable stuff, I have no idea about, but I would imagine thats the most dense considering it starts in liquid form.

The foamular building board is pretty strong in relation to compressive strength, it has a 25 psi compressive strength in the foamular 250 brand and 15 psi in foamular 150 brand.

Dennis

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would rather not use the pourable stuff... I have such a small amount to do (6'x5'x4") it's not worth the $80 to buy the cans. I'll use the builders foam... I can just buy the 2" sheets and double them up. Thanks for the help guys!![up]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
It's better to spend the money & save your boat. 2 cubic feet of Urethane Pour Foam will float almost 120 pounds of dead weight. You should be able to get away with the Qt kit. It's $26

1 - 10 of 10 Posts