New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was debating on buying some home defense ammunition for my shotgun. Got a .410 i was pondering getting slugs for but unsure if they were legal to buy or have in NJ cause you cannot do anything with them. And some less than lethal shot for a bigger shotgun, cannot find any laws against them such as rubber buckshot or beanbag shot or whatever other less than lethal ammo you can think of. Anyone shine light on this subject?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Bro if you need a gun for home defense why would you pick 410 slugs or bean bags? God forbid you ever needed it you be opening a safe n trying to make a logical decision as to which gun/ammo combo to grab. That's not well thought out. 12 ga buckshot would be a good choice. You can point n shoot provided you thought you could swing it in a house. Less than lethal to me would mean him being persuaded to leave by the angry guy pointing a gun at him blocking his way. It'd be his choice if it had to be lethal or not. 410 slugs are not illegal to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
As said above for home defense 410 slugs not best choice. Even buckshot for 410 u only get 3. Use at least a 20. But 410 slugs are legal I used to use for shark fishing

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
If you're forced to shoot somebody... shoot em with the biggest damn bullet possible. 12ga slug. you really don't want them to survive. all the libs come up with all these silly ideas about less than lethal, shooting people in the arm, injuring them not killing them. seriously... if you REALLY were in danger you want a big gun with the most lethal ammo possible.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm all for a 12 gauge for home defense. That big ol' black hole your looking down when its pointed at you is intimidating even if it's shaking everywhere. Something you need to think about is that sheet rock won't stop 00 buck and will be lethal through the wall into the next room. I have a Rottweiler and a 9mm backup. No one can use your own dog against you.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Me personally, I'd go with 12 gauge birdshot. You could be shaking, just woken up, in less than perfect light, etc. I like my chances with a lot of pellets, as opposed to a slug. Definately wouldn't use a bean bag,

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Me personally, I'd go with 12 gauge birdshot. You could be shaking, just woken up, in less than perfect light, etc. I like my chances with a lot of pellets, as opposed to a slug. Definately wouldn't use a bean bag,
First shot in the eyes with birdshot, second shot with buckshot to end it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You would probably go to jail for that one. The birdshot should have disabled the person enough to stop attacking you in the eyes of a jury

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm of the mindset that a load of birdshot at 10 feet out of a 12 gauge would more than likely be lethal.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Juries never were there n yet their say can put you in jail everytime. Not saying it's fair n not telling you what to do, just saying I'd never do that. It's a guarantee for a problem. Specially if they ever saw you wrote about it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
An old acquaintance once told me about an incident while rat hunting as a kid with his friends in the meadowlands a long time ago. Just as he pulled the trigger on his .410 shotgun a bum jumped up and yelled 'boo' to scare them and took the shot right to the face, about 5 yards away. They offered him help and apologized, eventually leaving him there, still standing, squeezing and wiping the shot from his face. Now add meth or whatever to the mix and and maybe, hopefully a .410 slug or 12 gauge bird shot will work. For me, low recoil buck is a better idea.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts