New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are 2 examples of the "non-hunting general public's" ignorance toward hunting and hunters that I experienced today. #1 In one of my classes my professor was asking for examples of people labeled with stereo-types. And students gave all the general ethnic stereo types and then someone brought up "white trash". Well one girl who raised her hand defined "white trash" as..."you know, white guys who drive pick-up trucks and hunt and drink lots of beer...and you know" [mad][mad][mad] I flipped! I said "my life revolves around hunting and I drive a truck. Do I look like white trash to you?" Boy did she turn red! I coulda went on, but I would have only enraged myself even more!!! #2 After cl [no swearing please] I was lifting in the gym and some scrawny little punk said "man you drink lots of protien or something?" I said "No. I get most of my protien from the food I eat, which is mostly venison" I then explained how healthy venison is at yatah yatah. Then he said oh where do you buy that at? I told him that I'm always hunting and what not and he said "What you just shoot them? The cops don't arrest you when they see a deer on your truck" And again I nearly went after him. I took the time to explain to him the benefits and legality of hunting (which I could have gone on all day for, but I did my best) But geez some people are dumb. I give this kid the benefit of the doubt because he appeared pretty new to this country, but atleast I enlightened him a little. But man, two instances of people misperceptions in one day!!!! AHHHH [mad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Be lucky it was only 2 incidents of ignorance. There are a lot more of those types out there.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea tell me about it. I just don't usually encouter it twice within an hour. Ruins me for the day LOL. Not much gets me more fired up than that. Hunting has raised me from a little boy and into a man and my best memories are always out in the field. So when someone attacks that infront of me I gotta get it off my chest to some fellow sportsman.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't have gotten upset by the 2nd person. It sounded like he was just uninformed and inquired about it. As for that retarded girl in your class, I would've gone off on her.

David

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't have gotten upset by the 2nd person. It sounded like he was just uninformed and inquired about it
It's not just you. I know what your saying. Thought the same thing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
TRY HAVING YOUR MOTHER IN LAW BE AN ANIMAL LOVER AND SCREAMS EVERY TIME SOMEONE BRINGS UP HUNTING!!! BUT SINCE MY SON HAS BEEN BORN SHE HAS REALIZED THAT SHE WILL LOSE THE FIGHT AS I WILL BRING UP MY SON HUNTING AND FISHING AND SHE WILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SAY IN IT!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
You were the rebel son weren't you?:D

You never taunted her with animal parts when you were younger did you?:D

·
Registered
545 Posts
ITS MY MOTHER IN LAW BUT YES I DO GET UNDER HER SKIN A BIT WHEN SHE PULLS THE OVER DRAMATIC ANIMAL LOVER ATTITUDE WITH ME!! MOST OF THE TIME IT IS OTHER PEOPLE WHO BRING HUNTING TO ME AND SHE FREAKS!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
ITS MY MOTHER IN LAW
Sorry I missed the "in law" part. Good for you on getting under her skin. That is what son-in-laws are for right?:D
Please don't tell my mother-in-law I said that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My wife gets angry at me sometimes but it is ok- I know how important hunting is to me and what it meant and means in my relationship with my off the boat (airplane) father who did not understand all the other sports I was involved in like football wrestling and etc.. and I get so angry when someone attacks hunting -there is so much more to being an outdoorsman/woman then just harvesting an animal - I will forever remember following my dad and uncles thru the woods as a small child while they rabbit hunted etc and the look on may dads face when I was 13 yrs old and shot my first deer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts