New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a position in JC, currently working in Philly and living in Mount Laurel (South NJ).

Would be relocating if I take the position (prob not until January), so thought I'd see if anyone here works in JC and if so...where do you live, and what kind of commute do you face?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
If I were to rent Passaic or Bergen county.
If I were to buy no further east than Mt.Olive Twp.
45 miles to J.C. one hr. drive. x26 rt.80W
end of Morris start of Warren County.
just my opinion.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Whatever you do don't live in JC or any of the surrounding towns for that matter. My wife drives from Lopatcong (Phillipsburg) to JC when she works. She is a RN in JC medical center and it's an hour drive for her.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, no intention of living in JC.
Few additional requirements:

1) Want to buy a house with a yard (must be able to shoot my bow there)

2) Want to be reasonably close the shore (eventually want to get a boat)

3) Want to be reasonably close to some good hunting (given this is NJ and it's difficult to find property, this is actually on the lower end of my requirement scale as I'll find myself traveling wherever I need to in order to hunt).

Right now, my commute to work is a pretty painless (i.e. no traffic jams) 1 hour door to door, but I drive 1-1.5 hours each way to fish/hunt in most cases.

·
Registered
158 Posts
depends on what your looking for, I use to work in JC and live in Hoboken, that commute is sweet, problem is that you have to drive 45 min to an hour for hunting

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try taking NJ transit trains to Hoboken that way you can take the PATH to JC. Long as you get a house close to train station with parking it can work pretty well

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Far Far away..........

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
what's wrong with Jersey City? I have a buddy who works in NYC and lives in JC. It's not all that bad. Just gotta learn how to recognize which crack heads will rob/rape/murder you or the people you're with and which crack heads you don't have to worry about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Having grown up in JC I can say it WAS a great experience. Now, I recommend the thread about NJ Transit. You will trade your drive time for hunting time despite whatever location you pick. If you work 5 days, do you want to add that commuting expense vs. 1 day a week in the field? JC can be a bear to get in and out of during commuting hours. Consider the mass transit and it will open your househunting options. Add 100K to a house within an hour, (ex: Lower Bergen & Passaic, Essex Ctys.) Then, consider looking ahead to shcool districts if you plan to stay and have kids. Scores vary widely. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
how much do you want to spend on a house??? cranford, kenilworth westfield are all great towns but the property is limited....mountainside is a great town also and you get more property

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Where in JC? It's a big city and takes time to get around during rush hour.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
brooklen or how ever you spell it. You would love it. There is a baitshop that sells white leggers. But then again you never put them in your car

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey BowhunterNJ -

I have worked in JC for the last 9 years (and still do unless we have another downsizing!). Harborside Financial Center on the water at Exchange Place. I live in Little Silver, NJ and commute via NJ Transit and the PATH. Not a terribly painful commute...just long...about 1 hour 20 minutes each way.

My comments in CAPS to your questions:

1) Want to buy a house with a yard (must be able to shoot my bow there) MONMOUTH COUNTY IS VERY NICE.

2) Want to be reasonably close the shore (eventually want to get a boat) I AM 10 MINUTES FROM MY 28 GRADY WHITE AND NUMEROUS MARINAS.

3) Want to be reasonably close to some good hunting (given this is NJ and it's difficult to find property, this is actually on the lower end of my requirement scale as I'll find myself traveling wherever I need to in order to hunt). MONMOUTH COUNTY (MORE INLAND) HAS SAME GREAT HUNTING. FINDING PROPERTY IS ANOTHER STORY THOUGH AS YOU STATED. I HUNT ZONE 2, NY STATE, and PA.

Best of luck to you and if I can be of any assistance...just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
My wife still works in Jersey city ..I'm in NYC we live in Monmouth co. It takes her maybe 15 minutes longer to get home now then it did when we lived in Jersey city.

North Arlington... Rutherford are pretty close... Or ya can move to Middletown by me .. then we can become buddies....lol

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Sounds like you need the 78 corridor, start around Warren, Long Hill & head west LoL & north. Good luck
I know nothing of JC but I do know as far as NJTransit there are stations in Highbridge (You can be close to Kris than[kiss]and if THATS not a greatly desired option Annendale has a station to as does Whitehouse.
Not sure what desire you have to drive 78 but Greenbrook by the Warren twp. line is not a bad place to live either. Good luck.
OBTW as a Rt.78 comuter if you can scheduel your day so you can start EARLY or LATE the drive in not all that bad. There is a 2 hr. sweet spot (or should I say sour) that is best avoided if possible.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brooklen or how ever you spell it. You would love it. There is a baitshop that sells white leggers. But then again you never put them in your car
LOL keep hunting near portajohns ya *******! [hihi]

BK/Sheepshead area is very nice to hang out at.

Where in JC?
Exchange Place

how much do you want to spend on a house???
Hah, I'm single...it's to be debatable if I can afford a house up there. I own a condo down here...would sell (or maybe lease/rent it) and roll into another property.

Also family wise, when that time comes, I would likely move to a new place.

Again in the early stages of evaluating it all.

Bottom line, in this area the job markets with the targeted pay for me are in Philly, JC, and NYC...so it limits my options. Philly is very nice, not a bad commute, but not near anything (where I fish and hunt are an hour+ away).

·
Registered
746 Posts
move to wall twp, monmouth county.....when i was a chef in the city,i would stay with my dad in JC, and my girlfriend drove up from wall all the time and it was like 35 min.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts