New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
honestly my first idea was to get a friend, like NBK to help me carry them out

second thing I thought of was hey those people standing along the highway with the signs must be out of work I buy the group lunch you think they will help me out? :D:D

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Last NJ hunt I tied a stick behind the teeth. I just used a live piece of branch (1"-1 1/2") and tied my bow rope back and forth and over and under the snout and jaw. With a guy on each side it was a snap to drag out. When I got to the check station they said it was the best idea they had seen yet....Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
i think the bear will be alot bigger than the first aid spine board...as for NBK, i guess he could go with you...even though i was plannin on using him as a bird dog/fetcher..:D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spine board can hold up to 500 pounds. Strap the bear to it and get a few friends and out he comes.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have one of those wheeled carts supposedly it is good to 500LBS. I would still need help getting a bear on the cart,help gutting it and help pulling the cart.

We have discussed in the past of getting familiar with who on this site is hunting bears where. Perhaps we should all get CB walkie talkies. When someone gets a bear we could put out the call for help over the air on a predefined channel. We could simply use our handles from this site.

I would certianly be willing to bring my cart to a nearby location to help another hunter. Unfortunatly I will be out of town on business that week as a result only able to hunt on Saturday. I would also be willing to let someone hold the cart while I am away.

B

·
0 Posts
It took brownstones and me 3 hours to get my bear out of the woods on the last day of the 2003 hunt, and she was only 150lbs. dress, 200 live weight. We used basically the same method as bowhuntnj. After that hunt we: buckfever, brownstones and me chipped in and got us one of those wheeled game haulers that can hold up too 500lbs. But I do wonder if Im hunting by myself in the middle of the week how the hell do I get a bear onto the hauler?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Become friends with NJDiverDan. he is huge! lol

alot of rope and if you have comealongs(sp?).

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
From what I understand, most guides use a large body bag to take good sized bears out of the woods They have handles all around the edges so you can have a few guys helping to carry/drag it.(though I dont know how big of a bear you can put in/on a body bag).

Sleds, sticks in the jaw, spine boards....all very good ideas.[up][up]

If its really big, I think I will just skin and quarter it and pack everything out. Combine that with two heavy duty sleds, and you could have two guys take a BIG bear out in two trips probably.[up]

B

·
0 Posts
The Taxidermist I use had a guy call him just before the 2003 season. He told the taxidermist that if any hunters harvest a bear and want it skinned professionally he will do it for an "X" amount of dollars. The taxidermist went onto telling me, you call him, he either meets you somewhere or give the GPS numbers, he will skin and quarter and pack it out for you.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Online Posts: 2929
The Taxidermist I use had a guy call him just before the 2003 season. He told the taxidermist that if any hunters harvest a bear and want it skinned professionally he will do it for an "X" amount of dollars. The taxidermist went onto telling me, you call him, he either meets you somewhere or give the GPS numbers, he will skin and quarter and pack it out for you.
Whats the cost & phone #?

·
Registered
260 Posts
A lot of rope and some come-alongs, and a tarp, that's what ill be using. Hoping i can employ the help of some friends too, but well see what happens. It may be one extra long lonely drag.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
A friend of mine came up with a very god idea. He took a section on a ladder stand and clamped down 3/4 ply woood. It is about 5' long and has a built in handle on each corner.

We plan to cinch the bear down with 3-4 straps. We wil carry him out like a pharaoh!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts