New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since"NBK" has been grousing on another thread about baiting for NJ bears and how that introduces food that is not part of their environment, I did some resarch.

Thanks to Dr. Benjamin Dover, who works for the various anti hunting groups here in N.J, Here are some baits and baiting methods that are familiar to the environment of N.J. black bears:

Small dogs and cats
Dog food and cat food
Bird seed
Garbage cans
Ponies
Goats, sheep, llamas, chickens
Dumpsters and grease barrels from restaurants
Freshly baked goods, or food warming on a gas grill

Recognizing that some of us might fall off into slumber while in the woods, I've also come up with a means of baiting that will keep the smaller animals away from the bait and alert you when a bear arrives:

Go to Home Depot and buy some 2x4s, plywood, and a cheap storm door.

Assemble a 4 sided frame with a plywood top, bottom, and 3 sides.. Add the storm door to the 4th side, with the screen in.

Place bait inside box (remember, if its a pony, it has to be a big box, and the pony should be securely tethered to a tree or boulder with a hole through one of the solid walls.)

When the bear rips the storm door down to get to the food, you'll wake up..guaranteed.

And remember, if you're still opposed to the bear hunt and want someone to listen to your whining---Ben Dover.

:D

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
That is a classic post[up]

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dumpsters and grease barrels from restaurants
I know a guy that back in 2000 in the proposed hunt that never was, he used to hit the chinese restaurants for their used cooking oil. he found a large rusted wash basin in the woods behind his house and started dumping it there. the bears licked it so much they licked the rust off the pan!!!.
too bad he moved to Fla and sold, a nice spot he had.
Bears would go right up to it, even with us standing 50 yds away.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts