New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near the Pequanock River. Last year I looked in a hole nearby and there was a ton of fish in it a week before opening day. I went to that hole on opening day and hammered them. The rest of the season there were no more fish to be caught in that general area.

This year there were no fish visable in that hole. I didn't fish this morning. I did see some guys fishing there I wonder how they did.

I am thinking the later season stockings they drop all the allocated fish in one place.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It is my understanding that the "Trout Stocked water" sign indicates a stocking area. I saw a stocking truck at the flatbrook on a Friday a few years back and noticed it stopped at places with signs for the short distance I observed it. It was almost comical watching the crowds of people following the truck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It is really too bad so many fish are taken the first day. Understand I have NO PROBLEM with people taking fish. I don't, but everyone is entitled if they want to.

It just seems like after the first day or two of the season,the fishing opportunities really drop off. Personally, I would either like to see more conservation areas or increase the size minimum to take fish. Again, just my opinion. Not trying to start a war here. :) I just think it would help provide good fishing opportunities throughoutu the season.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
It is really too bad so many fish are taken the first day. Understand I have NO PROBLEM with people taking fish. I don't, but everyone is entitled if they want to.

It just seems like after the first day or two of the season,the fishing opportunities really drop off. Personally, I would either like to see more conservation areas or increase the size minimum to take fish. Again, just my opinion. Not trying to start a war here. I just think it would help provide good fishing opportunities throughoutu the season.
I agree, however there are streams/rivers/ponds where the trout just will not survive long after Late may or mid june...I would like to see spring stocking done much earlier so the fish spread out some...

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I would either like to see more conservation areas or increase the size minimum to take fi
I agree, but the DFW is all about selling fishing licenses. They are not going to make more conservation or fly fishing only areas because fewer meat fisherman will buy the licenses.

On a positive note there seems to be a lot more fly fisherman out there that there was 10-15 years ago.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I know someone will have a comment, but this is just my opinion. I think they should raise the price of the stamp to around 20-25 dollars, stock nothing but 18-22 inch regular trout in ONLY rivers that can sustain them, and decrease the amount kept by 2. That would mean in season limits would be 4 and out of season limits would be 2. Also they should increase the fines substancially for poaching and over limits. Will it happen, but I would have a lot better day catching 4 20 inch trout, that 50 6 inchers. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
you guys need to do your homework and find areas that will hold fish, day 2 was a great day on the streams we did over 40 fish and will catch fish all week long until the next stocking truck comes along. guys chase trucks that is the number one problem w/ nj trout fisherman ,do some stream research and learn where to find them the pressure is on .fish move do not be afraid to walk away from the road .Today we got all our fish a mile from where we parked

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think with the limited staff most fish are just dumped off a bridge. Float stocking is a good way to spread them out but after a few good storms you get the same effect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.