New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a quandy. I scaouted a couple of grat looking spots on Picatinny Last week. My problem is I did not spen a whole lot of time at those spots due to lack of time. I really want to hunt one of those 2 spots tommorow but I am a little unsure of myself and climbing a tree in a very new area really makes me nervous. ( Im not great with my climber to begin with). So my question is do I say the heck with it and head to the new area and just get there early enough to set up or shoud I hunt one of my more established stands in a diffrent area and set up in the afternoon at Picatinny?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If you are uneasy with your climber, don't attempt in the dark. It is a safety thing. I would start in the established stands. If you are staying all day, I would hunt the new areas with the climber in the afternoon. That way you get to hunt the new area and use your climber.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
im gonna try to do that everyday during pheasant season. im gonna pheasant hunt in the morning and then walk in the woods with the new dog in the afternoon and see if i can push up a couple of pheasants or rabbits. there is nothing like shooting something and knowing you worked hard to get it.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea thats what I was thinking. I just feel like a sissy being affraid to use my climber. :D saftey first I guess.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Scrub, I am the same way. I only climb to about 15 feet if that. But you said it, safety first. I have to get the tilt right, so it is level at the hieght I want.

im gonna pheasant hunt in the morning and then walk in the woods with the new dog in the afternoon and see if i can push up a couple of pheasants or rabbits. there is nothing like shooting something and knowing you worked hard to get it
Mack, make sure your birds are put away first. Don't want the wardens to see you still hunting with a limit of birds. Rabbit is ok, but it may be hard to convince the wardens you are only rabbit hunting with a bird dog.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
yea those wardens are strict! some guy got his gun taken away because he was waiting for sunrise and his gun was loaded. last year, there was a bird in a tree so we let somebody post next to it so they can shoot it when sunrise comes. all the sudden we hear a gunshot about 30 minutes before sunrise.guess who was driving down the road when they heard the gun shots? BUSTED!!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I normally don't take 2 right off the bat either. Unless I am by myself. Last year I shot 2 with in the first 10 minutes of sunrise. I saw one and missed. Then I went to a field no one went to yet. There was a hen and [no swearing please] bird. Shot the both and headed home. All the ride home I kept thinking, drive an hour up, hunt 10 minute, and drive an hour back. It wasn't worth it. However, it was only 0 degrees outside and my fingers were numb when I shot them.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
i drive up for about an hour and when we limit out im a half hour, i feel unsatisfied. i like the feeling you get when you shoot something and you know that you worked hard!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Sometimes it gets frustrated though. I day I drove up to Flatbrook after they received 15 inches of snow and it was -1 degress according to my truck thermometer. I don't hunt where the crowds are but they normally put birds there. We'll I apparently could get down the road, but the stocking truck couldn't. No birds. I hunted across the river and heard a women scream. [no swearing please] bird scared the hell out of her and flew across the river. I watched where it landed and when across the river to find it. I followed it's tracks in the snow. Ever do that. They like to circle. Well, I didn't find that bird, but I did find a [no swearing please] bird and hen walking together. It was a beautiful pictures. If wanted to I could have shot both with one shell. I got the cock, but missed the hen. I would have kept following tracks but after walking in 15 inches of snow for 5 hours, I was beat and cold. But that is hunting, a sense of hard work and accomplishment. That is why I think the state should make the legal start time for pheasants 9 am. Gives the stocked birds time to spread out and not in the parking lots.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
at whittingham, just my dad and i hunted a nonstocking day and when we got up there, we realized they got about 10-12inches of snow. oh well, we decided to hunt anyway. we found alot of tracks in this one area and we followed them and they led into a thick brush pile and my siberian husky (whos is actually a good hunting dog. this year he found 6 birds for us) went up to the pile and they got spooked. beleeve it or not, we had a double flush (hen and rooster). i got the hen and the old man got the rooster. the rooster had nice 18 inch tail feathers. it was great but we hunted an hour more in the 2 degree weather, then packed it in. my fingers burned really bad because i was wearing fingerless gloves.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
i went to flatbrook on the last stocking saturday and in the morning i was on old mine road. were you hunting there that day mpemt24?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I hunted the three bridges area. Then with went to the slug range. Saw 2 [no swearing please] birds at the range. Walked across the street and kicked up 2 no area to actually shoot though. When down the road to the bridge that is out and hunted the other side. Missed another, but shot one. The one I shot flundered into the river and got hung up on a submerged log. Had to go back to the truck, change boots and wade into the river to retrieve it. My cousin finally got one as we were leaving. We saw that one flying down the middle of the road. Marked were it landed and found it. Since I changed spots I saw a lot of birds. Too bad they stopped stocking the area, I normally hunt. There were never anyone there, except for the regulars that my uncle had hunted with since the 80's.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
SRB, you should practice with your treestand in your yard, or somewhere, to get comfortable with it.

Also, if you know how to use it already, but just arent comfortable, take your time. Theres no rushing in hunting as far as Im concerned. I like to do everything nice and slow, and as quietly as possible. The first few times out, I have to remind myself to slow down, because in day to day life we tend to RUSH RUSH RUSH whenever we do anything. When I get in the woods its time to walk slow, move slow, etc.

Rushing only causes noise, and possibly an accident.

So take your stand, and go slow. Make sure everything is set up properly, and just take your time going up the tree, and setting up at hunting height. You'll be fine. Wear your harness from the ground up too!

Good luck and stay safe![up]

Oh and Mike, I noticed you had some trouble with finding the proper stand angle at the base of the tree. When I came back to get you, you were too low....I almost could've shaken your hand. :D

Finding the right climber setting can be very difficult to do on new trees though, so this is what I do. First look at the tree and see if it tapers a lot, if it does, put the stand on a severe angle at the base of the tree, and climb till it levels (this should get you about 20ft), or until its close to level and you are high enough. If the tree looks like it doesnt taper a lot, hook the stand up on less of an angle, and hold it up around eye high on the tree. If its starting to level out already, put the cable another one or two "notches" tighter.

It works ok for me, but sometimes it is very hard to judge. I used to make mid-climb adjustments (DANGEROUS), but I cant do it anymore with a hand-climber. You need a seat climber, or you need to be light enough to hang in your safety harness, which I used to be able to do.[sad] If you dont like heights, find trees with great cover.

Always wear your safety harness as well! Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Scrub, how'd you make out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts