New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have land in PA where there is some bears? I would like to hunt one with my long bow. IMB24, how about you video me bear hunting from a ground blind.

B

·
0 Posts
IMB24, how about you video me bear hunting from a ground blind.
Its IMB21...and yeah video type him hunting bears, lets see if MYSTI can out run the bear:p

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
tough bear hunting in PA, I will video you, but not in a blind, from a tree. And good luck with the bow, you can't bait in PA. You sit with the bow, and i will use my .270 and see who gets one first!! LOL

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
You sit with the bow, and i will use my .270 and see who gets one first!! LOL
If you shoot your rifle anywhere near like you shoot your bow my money is on Mystic.:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Mystic, take it from me, its not worth bowhunting bears in PA.

Been there, done that, its way too hard. You dont realize the amount of people they get out there trying to push bears, its insane. You cant use scent, you cant use bait, you have to either spot and stalk, or stand/blind hunt a well used bear trail. With all the pressure around, good luck getting a bear to come by that will actually stop for a bowshot.

I resorted to predator calling on the last day of last year, and I did have a small bear come in to the calls, but it came in downwind and I was on the ground. Once it got a whiff of me, it was gone. That was in a downpour, and Im sure you know how quiet they can be when the leaves arent wet. I never even heard the bear till it snapped a twig about 40 yards behind me. Scared the crap out of me.

It is exciting though, and if you havent tried it, I urge you to get out there and give it a shot. Just pick a different state than PA....I wouldnt want to see you waste your time.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I hunted the Armstrong tract again today and had a big bear come right to me with a fawn call. It must have been around 500 pounds, its head was the size of a basketball. I only saw one doe after that bear so I think the bear ruined my hunt.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hey Dave, I had that one come crashing into doe bleats that one day last year.....or maybe it was the year before in those same woods.[confused]

It was HUMUNGOUS!!!!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Montague

·
Registered
345 Posts
That funny yesterday a small bear was 200yds away down a ridge and I uesed the bleat can and it came running full speed right under my stand. Do you think it sounds like a wounded rabbit or other small game?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No it sounds like a fawn or injured deer dinner.

I'll tell you what though, the dying rabbit call works well on coyotes, and bears the same. But bring some ear plugs because it is ANNOYING after a while, its this high pitch shrill noise you can make with a turkey diaphram call. Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about that God awful noise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts