New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These pix were taken yesterday. I put a 5 gal bucket of corn and a bushel of apples down at 10am.

When I went back in to set up my camera at 3pm, the bait was cleaned out.

I had to go get another bucket of corn to rebait the stand.

Here's the stand that overlooks the bait site. Yea, it's up there a ways.
Got pix of 7 different racked ( 6pts. or better ) bucks that night.

Here's a shot of a few of the bucks coming into here. Nothing big enough showing up to make it worthwhile to hunt this stand.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrp!

that was you? you left if for the deer?

uuuuurrrrp!

sorry heh heh heh :p:D

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's my highest stand, But most of them average 30" +

Gets ya above the scent line, and above the clouds sometimes

One morning I was sitting in this stand when fog rolled in. I actually couldn't see the ground

:D
I figured when I heard them crunching the corn I would REPEL down my rope with my knife clutched in my teeth and have a go at them " hand to paw " :p:p:p

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sat this stand last week and saw 30 diff. deer from noon til dark. Nothing big enough to shoot ( 8pt. or bigger ). They ate two 5 ga. buckets of feed while I was watching.
Do you think they know something that we don't know about how nasty this winter will be ??

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Is that a climber or loc-on? If its a loc-on how many steps to get to 38.' I usually hunt 20-25 man never up that high, maybe I will try it someday, going to need a safety net, because if I fall asleep, I'm dead.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a Big Horn Ram hang on. Good sturdy stand, but once I put it up, it stays there for the season. These stands weigh 30lbs., and when pulling them 30 + feet up, while hanging onto the tree with one arm, they get real heavy, real fast. I put 12 of them up this year. It takes three days to get them all up.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm surprised there aren't any pictures of MYSTI looking for TREATS in the woods, or yelling out loud: "IT'S 6 DAY SEASON, NOT SHOTGUN SEASON DAM IT !!!!" :p

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Do you think they know something that we don't know about how nasty this winter will be ??
Most of the deer I've shot recently have an unusual amount of fat on the back and hindquarters for this time of year - If this is any indication of how cold it will be, it looks like we may be getting a really cold winter this year.

Question 1: Have you ever gotten any nose bleeds way up there?[smirk]

Question 2: Do you wear a strobe light on the top of your head to warn approaching aircraft of your close proximity to their airspace? [smirk]:p

B

·
0 Posts
Question 2: Do you wear a strobe light on the top of your head to warn approaching aircraft of your close proximity to their airspace?
Thats only needed if your near TETERBORO AIRPORT, they have a habit of letting things fall from the sky[down]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Most of the deer I've shot recently have an unusual amount of fat on the back and hindquarters for this time of year - If this is any indication of how cold it will be, it looks like we may be getting a really cold winter this year.
And I thought it was just me. I've noticed the same thing. But then again, I was contributing this to the large amount of acorns I've seen drop in my area. Acorns have a high % of fat in them.

David

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have deer hitting baits that are normally untoched till January. Here on the farm they usually eat the carrots, alfalfa, and rye gr [no swearing please] till it gets really cold. Then they come to the corn, but this year they are into the corn already. So I think were gonna need our snuggies this year boys. I've already dusted off my snowplow, got out the snowshoes and pac boots. So bring it on Mother Nature, I'm ready :D:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts