New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing Saffin's Pond yesterday...it was a beautiful day. I am pretty sure there was an old guy there catching b [no swearing please] and keeping them. A*%hole!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I had a kid (8-9 years old) doing that quite a few years ago in a small pond. He had like 5 b [no swearing please] up to 3 pounds and there were a few on nests. They had to be about 5-6 pounds. He had the nerve to ask me to catch them for him because they weren't taking his worms, but I could catch them on a fly rod. I told him it was illegal to keep but he didn't understand. Since then the fish, not just bass, have been don't in the pond. People in my area seem to keep everything.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
no one like a tattle tale
Thats the problem,no one will tell on these people so they keep getting away with illegal activity like keeping fish out of season. Next time call them.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Talk about law enforcement, my brother was fishing saffins about two weeks ago. Some old guy was fishing and talking to his buddy the park ranger....the old guy ended up pulling out a MONSTER bass....he weighed it on one of those cheesey scales and it was right around 8.5 lbs. He told his buddy, the ranger, that he was gonna keep that one for the wall....Now I can understand the temptation, but man the law is the law, and that is not cool that the ranger let him take it. I wonder if its the same old guy?

On a side note, we caught a few really big pickerel, and one 4# b [no swearing please] tonight in the pond across from Saffins. We also saw a pretty big bear down the street. Probably 350-400#. Mahlon Dickerson Reservation is crawling with bears, and has some great fishing. Some monster bucks in there too, but I never got the shotgun permit to hunt it...Anyone on here ever get the special parks permit?

·
Registered
545 Posts
my neighbor is a park ranger down in cheesquake and he said over the weekend he had to give out a few tickets for people not having trout stamps and taking b [no swearing please] - he said most people just play dumb

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Drag, how do you get to that area. I am looking for places in Morris County to fish. I just moved to the area.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saffin's pond - its in Mahlon-Dickerson park. Route 80 to Route 15 north. Get off at the Weldon Road exit. Its about a mile up Weldon Road on the right.

Let me know when you want to go... maybe we can meet up? Maybe we can catch (and release) a b [no swearing please] or two?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts