New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's the night before opening day shotgun and I'm torn about what I should take tomorrow, weapon wise. So, I am going to ask you guys and see what you all think.

Should I:
Take my Mossberg 500 w/smoothbore, buckshot - good to 50 yds.

OR

Take my Mossberg 500 w/rifled barrel, slug gun - good to 100 yds, but everytime I shoot it I get cracked between the eyes from the scope.

I really need you help. What would you take given these circumstances?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You need to move your head back further. I would take the slg gun, and adjust the power on the scope. Also, make sure you hold that back pressure on your shooting shoulder.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
You should have upgraded the scope to one that has sufficient eye relief that won't crack you.
It's nice to be able to take a 100 yard shot but not at the cost of hurting yourself-I don't know? [confused] Good luck with your decision!

Me,I'll be using my Rem 1100 slug gun w/ a Leupold scope,no problems...

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to move your head back further.
I can't. If I move my head back, I no longer have a full sight window, if you know what I mean. Maybe there's something that can be done to adjust for the eye relief, but it's a little late now.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's nice to be able to take a 100 yard shot but not at the cost of hurting yourself-
Tell me about it. The 2 deer that I've shot using it, the results were:

Cut myself between the eyes, with a 24 hr headache.

David

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
You have to weigh the cost of hurting yourself vs. the cost of tagging a buck.Only you know which is the best choice for you...
Next year invest in a different scope,specifically a high quality shotgun scope that provides generous eye relief.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Take the slug gun. Also, fix that eye relief. Most scopes have about 2.5" to 3.5" of relief. More then enough if your holding your gun right. Put a butt extension on it, you will hold it tighter to you should with the increased pull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.