New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my car into a Toyota dealership today for a oil change. THe car was in perfect running condition when I brought it in. I paid and didn't even get a quater mile down the road and it stalled out. WTF. Now I'm stuck at the dealership with a broken car that was fine when I brought it in. I am not ?ning the integrity of the shop because I have had a lot of work done over the years and they have never done me wrong. How could the car be fine before the service and not afterwards? This is a 2004 Rav 4 purchased in 2003 brand new. It now has 69,000 miles it has been babied and has had oil changes every 3500 miles and so far has only needed brakes and general maintanance. hmmm any thoughts I can't get out of my mind that these guys are hard up and pulled a sensor from the vehicle to drum up business. Hopefully it's fine and they will cover it.[drinking]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My first instinct was they forgot to put oil in it. I checked the oil and it seemed way over full? Any mechanics here could overfilling oil create the problem?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope they get this fixed I'm so mad right now

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I would look under and see if you have a new filter...if they at least changed the filter the oil would start to come out I cant imagine anyone that retarded to not drain the oil and add new oil thus making it overfilled

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Sorry to hear your dilemma. I have my own mechanic do any work for me including an oil change, even though there's a garage 3 blocks from me I drive the 3 miles to his place. The only time a dealership sees me is when I buy. Good luck and hope the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I also have a Rav 4 2003 and I hate to say it, but there is also another problem with these cars and I am trying to give you a heads up. It seems there is a problem with the computer module that tells the trans when and how to shift. It seems to be affecting the tranny between 95,000 and 115,000 miles, sometimes sooner. The module is a 1500.00 item and when it goes it takes the tranny with it. This lesson cost me 6700.00. Google recalls Rav4 and you will see all the complaints. Toyota knows about it and will do nothing. My opinion, dump it before the tranny goes. Just trying to save you some grief.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If its a particular toyota dealer in clinton I would make sure you check your car over pretty good.Earlier this year I kept having a problem with my Tundra they told me it was everything from a loose gas cap all the way up to a "critter" problem at which point I asked to speak to a district manager and was promptly told I was no longer welcome at the dealership.Something just doesnt seem right.As soon as its realistic the toyota is gone just because of this experience and thats a shame because it really is a great truck,just hard to find competent service people in this area.Good luck with your problem

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
over filling the oil is def not good in the long run, but i dont think it would cause catastrophic failure just down the road, unless they added more oil without ever draining the old oil.

Or maybe the fuel filter is not installed correctly, causing it to stall out.

·
Registered
714 Posts
too much oil=NG you can do bad damage to bearings,pump,ect..... i doubt you drove it far enough to anything like that though!!!!!! did the dip stick have bubbles in the oil?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
3 years ago I left the Chevy Dealership after having my truck tuned up and after I got 1/4 mile down the road, the engine blew. So it could be worse....

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Sh!t Happens :D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
they didn't do one of those engine flushes or injector cleanings, did they? car can stall after one of those.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
could overfilling oil create the problem?
Yes, it will blow your seal and cause gaskets to leak, but will not stall the vehicle.

I check oil and filter if I have someone do it, one time I went to Goodyear on Rt 9 and they didn't change the filter b/c I marked it, but charged me for a new filter and to dispose of the old filter! Took it right back and the next day they changed it for me again with filter! Claimed they didn't have a filter in stock, so they thought they get away with it!

Rather change my own oil!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i never - ever take my vehicle to the dealership/. do your own oil changes its way too simple for piece of mind... good luck and check all the recall websites. you may have a host of issues or nothing major at all.once your warranty has expired i would avoid the dealerships at all cost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts