New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any bow hunters living in the Brick area? It used to be my main love when I lived in NY but since moving to NJ about 9 years ago fishing has become my number one. I miss the hunt (and the pleasure of eating venison) and want to get back into the sport by next season. I will need to buy everything new and don't know where to shop. Are there any sport centers with an indoor range in the Brick area where you can test shoot before you purchase? Any good bow hunting clubs in the area? Even though I hunted for many years in NY,Penn and even Maine I have never hunted NJ so I'm a new kid on the block and need a lot of direction. If Brick is too specific, then Ocean County help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Welcome Mate Mike!

Go to A&M Archery in Lakewood!

·
Registered
206 Posts
A&M Archery is a good start. The do have an indoor range. Also not to far away there is Turkey swamp with an outdoor range. Any questions send me a PM.
Steve

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Yeah A&M is the closest shop in Lakewood, and has an indoor range. As mentioned above, you are also reasonably close to the TSP range up in the Freehold area.

I don't know what public lands are close to Brick, maybe Manchester WMA? There is TSP in Zone 16 and Colliers Mills in Zone 18 as well, both of which I hunt.

Good luck, some good guys here and I'm sure someone is close to where you are at and can help some more! ;)

BTW, keep your eyes open for a White Super Duty XL with a black front grill and Brick, NJ on the side panel behind the front doors. Guy driving it goes by the name of Jerry, mid to late 40s maybe early 50s about 5'10" and 200 lbs, dark hair no gray and a beard/goatee at the time. He tried to steal a cam from me in Colliers Mills. I need the license plate to pursue that scumbag! [mad]

Anyway, welcome to the site and good luck hunting! [up]

Where does Mate Mike come from? Commercial fisherman?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for your help everyone. I can't believe the quick responses! I'll keep my eyes open for that scumbag. The name Mate Mike comes from my fishing friends - they all own their own boats and go by the names of Capt this and that - I on the other hand have no desire to own a boat so they started calling me Mate Mike. I have started to look for a new bow and can't believe the current high prices! The first decision I have to make is what type - recurve or compound. I have hunted with both years ago. What I like about the compound was the drop-off, what I didn't like was too much technical stuff; what I liked about the recurve was it was simple (I used to shoot instinctive), what I didn't like was no let-off. Well I have a long time until next season to figure this all out. I want to purchase by the spring so I have until next fall to become proficient again. I have started to look for places to hunt but so far I have only checked out Colliers Mills WMA around the Success Lake area. What I am not accustomed to is hunting all of this Pine and sand stuff. I only located a small area of hard woods (oak) near the western end. I guess hunting in New Jersey I have to get used to this; but what do the deer eat in areas with some much pine and sand. The areas I used to hunt were mostly hardwood with sections of pine trees with soil not sand. Thanx again everyone. I hope to meet up with some bow hunters and not just have fishermen friends.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I know Matt has a top of the line Hoyt that is virtually brand new and he has it up for sale.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hey mike I'm in howell, maybe i can help you out with places to hunt. Go to A&M archery, the guy is very helpfull and can get you set up and shooting.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Welcome Mate Mike. I got my bow at Tip's hardware in West Creek. (exit 58 off gsp). Daryl there did a nice job setting it up. There's lots of land not a far ride from Brick.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Darryl at Tips is good, and will not steer you wrong. He won't try to sell you a bow that you don't need. If your on a budget he will point out the lower end but still good PSE's. Thats what I shoot, and been shooting them for years. As for the technical stuff, I don't understand it either, I just know how to shoot the bow, any problems I go to the pro shop (Darryl) thats why they make the big dollars. A bow is kind of like the computer, you don't need to know all the goobeldygook that goes with them, just enough to go to hunting sites.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Welcome Mate Mike!

While I don't live in Brick, I hunt in Assumpink. If you're ever up for a hunt there, let me know. I show you some of the property.

David

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For BowhunterNJ - What and where is TSP range in freehold?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Mike!

I'm in Point Pleasant so we're basically neighbors. I bought my bow at A&M as well, I forget the guy's name, Mike i think it is... but he really knows his stuff. Not the most attentive service but they have a lot in stock, and the 3D league there is fun. If you're ever looking for someone to shoot with or go out scouting or hunting with, i'd be more than willing to get out there. I hunt collier's mills and manasquan WMA mostly. I do a lot of pheasant hunting at manasquan, it is pretty small but there are lots of rubs and such that lead me to believe there are decent deer there, and its not quite as densely piney as Collier's Mills, and significantly closer. I think I may try there next season. This has been my first hunting season ever, so i'm not the most knowledgeable but all the more reason for off season scouting and shooting practice!

- Carlo

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Welcome Mate Mike.

I see you made the crossover from njstriper also. Hunt the fall and winter and fill in the rest of the time with fishing. [up] :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Mike,
TSP Turkey swamp park is in freehold just off of route 9. There are signs on rt 9 directing you there. I shoot there when it's a little warmer out there. Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.