New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bird real hot this morning. He was coming in to the box call. I was facing a field in brush at the edge of woods and I actually watched 3 of the birds fly down, but in the wrong direction. I also called two hens directly in to me as I mimicked their every sound and they stood 10 FEET away staring at me for several minutes before wandering into the field and purring. This, however, did not entice the gobblers who were answering them, but not interested enough to follow them.

Anyway, about a half an hour after the girls crossed the field and disappeared into woods on the other side, I was working a bird, and he was hot. He was cutting into my calls, so I called back right away. When I thought he was about 50-60 yards behind me, I changed over to the slate call to reduce my movements. He continued to answer on every call and again, cut into my calling. Once he sounded to be no more than 40 yards away, I figured that I better get that gun in my hands and the call out of it, so I slowly, I mean R E A L slowly put the call down and got the gun up on my knee. I kept peeking to my right through the brush, but did not see any glimpses of red. So, the next call I made was with the mouth call. I am not an expert, but I really am not all that bad. I made three or four soft purrs, and that was all she wrote. Not another answer to be had. I sat there for over a half an hour and nothing . . . I put the gun back down, picked up the box call and started again, but nothing. Bottom line, I messed up when I called with the mouth call.

So, I left there and drove the fields, sat someplace else for an hour and then returned. No sooner than I got into my spot, I heard a gobble. I called with the box call and I got an answer, again, and AGAIN he was cutting into my calls, but this time, he was only about 40 yards away to start out and still pretty much behind my right shoulder. I alternated between the box and the slate call and he was really hot, just not enough to close the gap. He simply wanted ME to come to HIM, so, I moved forward just a little (maybe 10 yards) to close some distance between us. I was NOT sneeking up on him as I still did not know exactly where he was, just a general vacinity and my driving the area led me to the conclusion that I was the only hunter on the mountain this morning and I know for sure that I WAS the only hunter on the property. So, anyway, after I moved closer to where the gobles were coming from, I called again, and again I got an answer. This happened THREE times and then all got quiet again, and then no answers, nada, nothing, zippo. 10 minutes passed and then my cell phone alarm went off signaling me that my hunting day was over . . . [sad][cry]

So, I have already gotten my daily lesson in what I did wrong from NJPlotts and I will be at it again in the morning, I just have to hope that the birds roost in the same spot tomorrow morning . . .

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Sorry to hear that but it sounds like you had some good action at least and the important thing is that you learned from it. It will make you a better hunter in the long run. Trust me, I've had my share of screws up too but you learn and move on. It doesn't sound like you spooked them too bad, they shouldn't be too far from the same area tomorrow. Stay on them, I'm sure you'll connect with one in the morning. Good luck.[up]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, what Bob told me and I did not know is that once they are within 40 yards or so, they already know where you are and you don't really need to continue to call, so I didn't need to use the diaphram call at all and that's what did me in. Next time, when they get that close, I will just SHUT UP and WAIT.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I will just SHUT UP and WAIT.
[rofl]
you are as patient as me.. [rofl] I have done that before also. Practice with your diaphragm call in the car when you are alone. Nobody to annoy or laugh at you in there. That is what I do on the way to work sometimes.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike, but geez, I'm not getting any breaks this year [cry]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Practice with your diaphragm call in the car when you are alone
It's funny, because I practice in the house and my son Matt tries to duplicate me and I can hear how awful he sounds . . .

But we both annoy the chickens and get the rooster all excited :D

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, today is the first time they have showed up in their traditional spot and when they flew down, it was into the . . . remember this? . . . they flew down into the Christmas trees, so I am hoping that they will be there again in the morning :)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Hey Ms Grit. Your mistakes are the steping stones to future success. Remember "all things come to those who wait, but things come faster to those who work like hell while they wait" Sounds to me like you are working like hell so I'll bet the stars are lining up and this will be your week. Hang in there and I'm sure you will connect soon! Good Luck, keep us posted.:D[up]

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
i heard that when they wont they wont come in and they stop gobblin to move further away like your leaving and sometimes that hammer back and break their attitude by coming and looking

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
if he's hot enough and fired up you should not even have to call if he's within 50 yards(just hope he doesn't hang up)at 40 yards that should be a dead turkey,don't worry about caling so much if they're close.
I know it's hard to do when they're answering you and are fired up but if you know he's coming,try and put the call down.
you'll connect,good luck grit.[up]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.