New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Sgt,'s lives in Vernon and he says I can shoot one of the bears in his back yard. I believe he sees like 7 different ones on a regular basis. He borders 50 acres that no one hunts and the Walkill Wildlife Refuge.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is zone 2.

B

·
0 Posts
well then, what you should do is this: if you have a camera set it up, get a bait started also, this way you can see what bears are hitting thr bait

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is going to bait his back yard.

B

·
0 Posts
back in 2001, an officer who I work with also lives in Vernon, and had numerous bears in his yard. He told me, you need to get them for me. So he came in with the pictures of them, I would say the smallest was 200lbs. the biggest over 400lbs. he would bait for me everyday, then the season was stopped by GOV. WHITMAN

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are going to try to each get one. He got one in 2003.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that big. I think it was about 150 dressed out. He got it in the Wildlife Refuge. There was a small sign that said there was no bear hunting but the didn't advertise. He turned himself in when he realized after someone told him. He wasn't the only one that did that. They understood and were good since it was partially the USFWS fault.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah on the 1st day of the 2003 season, and 1/2 of the 2nd day all FEDERAL LANDS had a ban on the bear hunt, it was lifted on that Tuesday at 12pm or so. brownstones, buckfever and me had the same bear walk within range of us on the 1st day, and nothing we could do

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He got it on Wednesday. They never opened it, but never told anyone it wasn't open.

B

·
0 Posts
I thought they opened it for bear hunting on Tuesday afternoon, like they did with the other FEDERAL LANDS back in 2003

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the refuge for some reason. It cost him $50 and the Refuge office got a bear to be mounted. It left a bad taste with him so he gave the office his bear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts