New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Because there's a lot of pro hunters on here that say they woulda let em grow... That is till they walk in front of their stand....

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Two schools of hunters. Those who practice qdm and are focused on bettering there property and growing mature bucks. Then there's the guy who maybe gets out a few times a year due to work and is just willing to take anything he sees. Neither are wrong. You get out if hunting what you put into it and it's such a diverse sport with so many different tactics and schools of though it really comes down to hunting the way YOU want and shooting what makes you happy. Both are hunters they just have different goals and end games.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Two schools of hunters. Those who practice qdm and are focused on bettering there property and growing mature bucks. Then there's the guy who maybe gets out a few times a year due to work and is just willing to take anything he sees. Neither are wrong. You get out if hunting what you put into it and it's such a diverse sport with so many different tactics and schools of though it really comes down to hunting the way YOU want and shooting what makes you happy. Both are hunters they just have different goals and end games.
totally agree. do what ever makes you happy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We all hunt with different goals and have different lives like mentioned. If its a trophy to the hunter then its a good thing. And we all should be happy for him. Now if a guy is just a meat hunter and shoots say 3 or 4 young bucks when he could shoot a doe then turns around and complains that he never see's a nice buck well…… .thats different.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Shoot what you feel is a good deer or what will fill the freezer. Don't care or worry what other people feel as long as you're happy or proud then there is no shame no matter what others say. And on this site you definitely have to put in your post "it's not a monster" then everyone will understand and you will not be judged.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Agree with this and to bounce off the topic title...I don't get it either...why is only the "shoot 'em all" school of thought the acceptable one? By telling someone they shouldn't express another opinion, that is what you are saying. I don't mean to say anyone should be bashed for shooting a small buck (but if you shoot more than one, you might just be a greedy game hog :) ) but I don't think people should be bashed for saying he would have been nice in a few years, or if you had let him go, he would have been a dandy either.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A guy shoots a nice buck (year & 1/2 old) 6 pointer, he is proud & posts the picture on this site. Then a guy posts that "you should have let him grow a couple of more years" WHY SAY ANYTHING IF YOUR GONNA SAY THAT?
Do you really need to ask that question? They will never be happy for you no matter what. I'm letting deer on my property grow, but will end up shooting a doe if a mature buck does not find his way in front of me before the season closes. Its exciting to get pics of all these big bucks on cam and try to hunt them exclusively, but I do miss the fun of just killing a buck, any buck! Again, Congrats to You!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Do you really need to ask that question? They will never be happy for you no matter what. I'm letting deer on my property grow, but will end up shooting a doe if a mature buck does not find his way in front of me before the season closes. Its exciting to get pics of all these big bucks on cam and try to hunt them exclusively, but I do miss the fun of just killing a buck, any buck!
I miss it too. Hunting a particular deer is very frustrating but worth the effort when it does happen.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I let many bucks walk every year. But, I am very lucky to have very good private property to hunt and they are all within 5-7 minutes from my work. In the early season I can hunt 7 days a week and usually do. I am the only one that hunts these properties and can manage them as I see fit. I have a pretty good idea what size racks I have to hunt. Not everyone has these benefits and I know I am fortunate. I say if its legal and makes you happy, have at it. I shoot plenty of does for meat. I gave away a bunch of steaks this year because I had too much. Everyone hunts for different reasons. Like I always say, "You cant kill a big buck off of your property if there are no big bucks on your property". JMO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts