New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TARGET PANIC! :(

Went out to Shoot my Bow Today and, I SHOT VERY BAD 2-15 Shots went in the Vitals. Everything else in the Shoulder or the Leg. :(

I know I have Target Panic, but I want to know how you guys would handle this. Any Tips or Ideas?

Thanks, NJ.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Practice, practice, practice.....(make sure your bow is tuned right!)

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Practice shooting at a range with a coach or friend with both eyes closed

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Practice, practice, practice.....(make sure your bow is tuned right!)
what he said ,and i usually take a deep breath before shooting ,but i dont have target panic.
good luck

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Get as close as you can to the target for now...I mean 10 yeards or closer.In a nut shell though, you ned to shoot at a blank bale also at very close range,working on nothing but form... not trying to hit a spot on a target. Keep you eyes open people will tell you to do it with your eyes closed. B/S you cant be afraid to have your eyes open.

Theres a great tape available by Len cardinale Target Panic its causews and cures try to get your hand son it if ya can..

Just shooting a few hundreds of arrows working on form is the best way for a quick fix aside from changing equipment..( Release, Sight etc..)Target panic is a mental problem so sometimes lil things like that will help for short term.

Fear of missing for the most part is what causes target panic. Your brain trys to do more than one thing at a time causing a short circuit and making you shoot befoe your ready..... I've had it in the past... and believe me bale work is the best fix for the problem and will also make you a better shot than you ever thought you could be...

Are ya gonna be at Assunpink tomorrow?

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Sorry about the typos... On my way to The Count Basie to see Artie Lange and I knew I could help ya with this... PM me I'll give ya my phone number and I get get into more detail than I ever could on here.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
TARGET PANIC!

Went out to Shoot my Bow Today and, I SHOT VERY BAD 2-15 Shots went in the Vitals. Everything else in the Shoulder or the Leg.

I know I have Target Panic, but I want to know how you guys would handle this. Any Tips or Ideas?
Take your time at the 3D course and don't get flustered when the guys in front of you are slower...use that time to concentrate on the target, not on the slowpokes.
Relax, take a deep breath...this is supposed to be fun, not stressful[eyeroll]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
See, I told you not to rush around the 3d range. LOL...Just kidding...

Do EXACTLY what Sugar said.

I've also done some extensive write ups about target panic but if I read them today, I may have a slightly differing opinion on how to fix it.

See, I had TP so bad many years ago that I almost quit shooting a bow all together. I was seriously ready to give up shooting and bowhunting. It was that bad!

After a lot of training and understanding how to shoot properly, now I'm awesome!!!:D

Well, ok, maybe not awesome, but I'm certainly no "slouch" when it comes to shooting.:D:D

The only thing I do disagree with Sugar on is...the eyes closed. There is a purpose to the eyes closed. It helps you to "feel" your form. It's a lot easier to focus on how everything feels when your eyes are closed. Don't ask me why, I guess just cutting off one of your senses allows you to focus more greatly on the others.

For the first couple days you can shoot close up with the eyes closed just to really FEEL what your form feels like. This way your subconscious knows exactly how it feels and if something is off when you draw back, it can trigger that little voice inside your head that says, "Something doesn't feel right"....thats when you should draw down.

Next, you do have to learn to focus on targets. The eyes closed really does nothing to help overcome the target panic, it moreso gives you that ability to recognize form subconsciously and trains the inner voice on when to speak up. Which in turn does give you more confidence, which will help you put all of your focus on aiming.

Without getting into a huge shpeel....you should only have one thought on your mind once you have decided to shoot. And that is the middle of the center of the center of whatever you're aiming at. Nothing else.

Since I assume you're shooting a compound with pins, this is basically how it should go once you've reached full draw, anchored and the little voice inside your head says everything is correct:

-"anchor" pin on center of center.
-start back tension. this is something you shouldn't have to think about. once you commit to shoot, this should be like an operating system on your computer that just runs itself.

-now forget about the pin...forget about your backtension, your trigger, the bees, the leaves, forget about everything in the entire world except that little spot you're focusing on. (dont worry, you anchored the pin and if you keep your focus on the center, it's going to continue to float around there)

When the bow goes off, that arrow will go EXACTLY where you were focused.

It takes a while to learn how to actually shoot like this, and you may need help from someone that actually knows what they're doing, but once you learn to shoot like that, it's hard to miss. ;)

Good luck with it!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I dont have this problem shooting at Deer only Targets.
Oh so you only do this when theres a spot or X or something small to aim at?

Basically you're afraid of the middle and you're afraid to miss.

Since a deer doesn't have a "spot", you're not afraid of it. You're brain says we can't miss...there's no "spot".

That's bad though, because you really should be picking a TINY spot, like a hair or shadow, or something on the deer to really hit them well all the time.

You definitely need to blank bale, work up to spots and overcome your target panic.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Number 1, BREATHE !!!

Number 2, Don't move until your arrow hits your target

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Sounds like you're puching the trigger as soon as you're on target instead of aiming. Try this,when you draw back keep your finger behind the trigger on your release,now put your pin in the sweet spot and let it hover don't try to force it on a tiny spot,once the pin is settled in bring your finger back in front of the trigger,and slowly apply pressure until the arrow flys. This will help you aim and concentrate better,there are no quick fixes and if you don't relax and follow a specific sequence it will get worse. I suffered from the same type of target panic you have years ago and this was the method that worked for me. The whole idea of having your finger behind the trigger when you start aiming is to eliminate punching the shot. Good luck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.