New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is what everyone talks about with target panic.

I cannot get the pin on the spot, I'm so scared to pull the trigger now that I'm punching it, or just yanking the whole bow. I have exploded three arrows over the weekend and just come in from blowing up another one. I have about a half dozen releases, trufires, scott, jim fletcher, and even bought a Spothogg Cascade thumb release. Nothing is working to make me more comfortable.

I have not hunted yet this year because their is no way I will go out and wound a deer shooting like this. I have went through four bows, A Vetrix, a Tribute, an Outback and now I have a General. All in the last year and a half.

I have come to the conclusion ITS NOT THE BOW.

I'm Shit out of luck with this season if I don't straighten this out. And now that I am rushing it I'm making it worse.

I drew my bow back and shoot a couple arrows with fingers and had no problem at all. I used to shot fingers and only changed because of all these short ATA bows.

I need help fast, I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Slow down and take it back to basics. You need to do some very close bale shooting. Get about five yards away from the target and do some shooting with your eyes closed. Focus on form and smooth release and follow through. Do this more times than you can even count until you are comfortable. Then start shooting with your eyes open. Start moving back and let the pin gently slide around the spot your aiming at. Dont try so hard at keeping the pin rock steady. Slowly move back until you are comfortable out at your normal hunting distances. Im suprised that you made this thread so late in the game having suffered with this for a year and a half. Good Luck[up]

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not flying my flag but I have always been a great shot.

I just refused to believe it was me, so off the bow goes. Now I am at critical mass and come to realize I have a serious problem.

I know its a lot late in the game. But it is what it is.

Thanks for that info Chris I need to go right back to the basics.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
buy a crossgun shoots straight right out da box[drinking]......[hihi]

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
you need to learn to use proper back tension when executing the shot...

the bottem line is when you try and fire your release with your finger (the same way you squeeze the trigger on a rifle) your brain is telling you the shot is coming just before you fire the release...causing you to flinch

its hard to explain on here i need to show you what im talking about...

but basicly the proper way to shoot a trigger style release with back tension...you want your finger to be a hook a hook that dosnt move...you also want to have the trigger set deep in your finger...i bet you shoot your release with just the tip of your finger...try and shorten up your release so the trigger sits deep in your finger about the first joint...

when you come to full draw and your ready to fire what you want to do is continue to pull the bow back pulling your finger the hook into the trigger of the release causing it to fire... dont move your finger like shooting a rifle...pull through the shot...pull your finger into the trigger of the release...

if you can pm Matty he's better at explaining this than i am

good luck it will take time but you can over come it[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Thought you were going to say Poison Ivy

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
hows about a buddie to shoot with and maybe just help you relax whne shootin and bs with you in between shots so your not over thinkiin

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
personal tip that i use is that i put the kisser in its place, my hand against my cheek, trigger in first joint of index finger, then i slightly pull it no jerk, always make sure my hand never leaves the cheek and bow for the most part stays still in my hand it mostly is about form and follow through and not peeking i kinda go into auto pilot draw, achor, pin, release, hold , impact, and then and only then look to see where i hit

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in Williamstown.

Lots of good advice, thank you.

A buddy of mine was here Fri. shooting with me, he said the same thing. I'm over thinking everything, relax. But I just can't.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Been there,one word of advice that worked for me. Draw the bow back with your finger behind the release trigger,put the pin on the target and let it hover,don't force it to stay spot on,now bring your finger to the front of the trigger and concentrate on a controlled squeeze. I would sugest shooting at a deer target and not a spot aswell. Good luck,relax,it's totally mental so getting freaked out will make it worse

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I can take you to CJR&P club. they have a nice archery range there. Im no pro by any means but we can shoot if you want. If not, good luck with whatever you try.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Take the target away and the target panic follows...Then rereadd splitlims post. I need 2 pages to start giving you advice.

You cant panic if theres nothing to hit.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
IMO, it sounds like you need to get in the zone. One of the best techniques for this I ever had taught to me (college sports) was to "practice with static". When you practice, play your IPOD, walkman, radio (whatever you have) with nothing but crappy static, not too loud but loud enough to be annoying. It forces you to not only focus on the basics, but ignore potential distractions. Some find it easy, some find it a bi*&h, but give it about 10-15 minutes and everyone finds it a challenge!:D Soon enough you learn to drown out everything-including yourself. Everything thereafter comes natural. It sounds nuts but it works.[up]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts