New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first "target" buck. I shot my first buck last year, a nice little lobster claw 3 ptr, but this guy... Well, he'd go on the wall. Generally I don't get too excited about bucks or about having one in my sights because they don't hang out and there just haven't been many, if any, nice ones around the last few seasons. But this guy... yeah, he is around frequently, his rack has some nice character. But I have zero clue about what to do now. I still have to shoot my doe, but is there anything I should/shouldn't do if i'm hoping to get this guy in once I can legally hunt him? Top pic is him in velvet and then a pic from the other day. And yes, I know, my military time is off. Don't tell my dad, he'd be pissed.

Wildlife Terrestrial animal Nature Woodland Nature reserve

Black Darkness Wildlife Deer Organism

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Don't hunt your doe near there if u have to wait till 10/4 to hunt him so be it. Don't spook or alert him until u can hunt him and try to figure out where he coming from and only hunt your intercept point if the wind is right. Good luck

Reactions: Get Some

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
To be honest it's a time of change. Seasons change n so do the food sources. If you're not baiting he may not be around week to week and to be honest same thing if you are. Ok so find another spot to kill a doe than hunt him ONLY in perfect wind conditions. That goes for any target animal.
I used to use topo maps, you'd have to orient them magnetic north, get a wind direction, etc. buncha time wasted.
I use mossy oak scout look now. It's not perfect but easier for answer person, especially if you don't understand orienting maps. Simple but scoutlook is easier. You can mark your spots, go to em n hit scent cone. That'll give you wind direction. It'll help you pic a spot for today and know when you should stay out of a spot.
Everyone is different but if the wind went bad I'd leave the stand. Of course plan your entrance/ exit. The idea is not to let them know they're being hunted

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The toughest part might be getting there without him seeing you. If he is bedded on that side of the creek, He may see you as you come down the steps. Something to think about.
That's my biggest concern actually, aside from figuring out the wind. It's such a weird little spot that to get in and out without being seen is the biggest issue. In the past the deer were always coming from two directions, but this year they have been bedding super close to where I have the blind and it's screwing me. I've got another doe spot I'm going to try this weekend, but I'm going to study his pictures and see where he is coming from. HOPEFULLY it's from the north ridge.

Get apples and don't run out. It's their weakness.
His biggest weakness seems to be bagels. But I'll try apples too.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Well start checking you camera same time every day. The deer aren't there than. Once the wind is perfect have someone walk in w ya same as always. Mess around by your camera while ya sneak in blind n they can walk out. I'm sure you've heard the saying deer, bears can't count

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
[QUOTEI have a target buck... now what?! ][/QUOTE]Boy I mean girl you got a late start an bad influences.So your a trophy hunter?Chris this is not a bash but a comparison of whats a trophy It's all mental.Len Cardinale If selectivity is your main concern.........
yeah, he is around frequently, his rack has some nice character. But I have zero clue about what to do now. I still have to shoot my doe, but is there anything I should/shouldn't do if i'm hoping to get this guy in once I can legally hunt him?
Yeah stay back make a plan pattern him long as he's coming he feels a sense of safety then you can pattern him instead of the other way around log in the wind directions day after day,conditions where you see him come and go,Now you should have enough info. to go D-DAY 3rd /4th week of oct .he has does in his eye's {males downfall lol] a real doe inheat perfume ******* or pala man low grunt an hour he'll come to range inhale till you can't no more slowly exhale now {STOP looking at the antlers}tell yourself just do what comes naturally to all that paper practice it's just another mark,then scream yell do the hula note:eek:feet on the ground lol good luck chris!!!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
[QUOTEI have a target buck... now what?! ]
Boy I mean girl you got a late start an bad influences.So your a trophy hunter?Chris this is not a bash but a comparison of whats a trophy It's all mental.Len Cardinale If selectivity is your main concern......... Yeah stay back make a plan pattern him long as he's coming he feels a sense of safety then you can pattern him instead of the other way around log in the wind directions day after day,conditions where you see him come and go,Now you should have enough info. to go D-DAY 3rd /4th week of oct .he has does in his eye's {males downfall lol] a real doe inheat perfume ******* or pala man low grunt an hour he'll come to range inhale till you can't no more slowly exhale now {STOP looking at the antlers}tell yourself just do what comes naturally to all that paper practice it's just another mark,then scream yell do the hula note:eek:feet on the ground lol good luck chris!!![/QUOTE]

He'll be more pattern able early season. You wait til 3 or 4th week he may be gone looking. The regimented routine suggested could work for some but I think it's way too much work for a novice. Besides it's already coming. Don't change anything besides being there at right time

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.