New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to burn the rut ragous sticks that smell like doe pee but i have the primos buck roar and it has a TB tending buck, MB mature buck, YD young deer, DG doe grunt DB doe bleat ,EB esturas bleat what should I Use? Thx

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Ok buddy if the orange army ruins your spot, let me know I have a few spots over on darmstat ave in the swamp which I always do very well at. If you need a spot I can let you sit on of my stands

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
When gun season arrives I empty my back pack of all tools I rely on during bowseason, I really don't worry about wind direction anymore. I just hope I get lucky enough that the running deer happens to cruise by my stand so I can arrow him. No offense to shotgun hunters, because i do hunt with the gun from time to time, but the trying to outsmart the mature whitetail days for this year ended 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
scent and buck grunt, 2nd rut might be coming into play,it cant hurt just use it sparingly,deer are always comunicating just not during the rut!i was blowing my call like crazy this morning had to youngins attetion,helps pass time too!good luck

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
dont use any of that stuff. focus on being in the right spot and sit still

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
The bucks are starting to hit the food sources now to build up for the winter. After the rut they loose a lot of weight from running so much. I've been seeing bucks on the cut cornfields and hay fields lately. I wouldn't focus on calling right now

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Hunt the thick stuff or edge of it in between a food source. If you are in a lower pressured area you can still do good with all the things you mentioned if used sparingly. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would pass on the rutting time scents this week as well. Just get as scent free as possible and be "a hole in the woods."

Maybe drop a ziploc baggie of acornrage (or whatever) in your "best loved" shooting lane. Just to stop and relax them for a min or so.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The best advice I know for opening day is to be in the woods hunting as much as possable.

Its ok to get down for small breaks as needed, but try to put in as much sit time as possable.

Deer will be moving all day because of hunter movements. Being very patient is the key.I have seen and shot many deer at odd times on opening day, late morning and mid day can be great.

Forget the scents and only grunt as a last resort.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
If you are hunting on public land leave all that crap at home. i am hunting my stand all day ,bringing coffee and lunch with me in my back pack!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Restraint. Once the first shot goes off, they aint falling for no gimmicks
Probably true. Unless you are hunting where not many other guys are. Supposed to be warm also, sometimes not good for deer movement. I personally think if there are other hunters around, that 10:00 - Noon is the best time. Guys start moving around getting antsy and bumping deer.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hang tight all day. Deer will be moving all day. Plan on packing lunch and be in your stand thru lunch. Too many hunters get down and kick up deer. Best to hang tight and be ready!!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
build up for the winter? they do that in aug, sep and early october.
yes they do put on a lot of weight in those months but they loose so much weight during the rut that they need to put it back on. you will notice them hitting the food sources. there might be an occasional doe come in estrus but not like november

1 - 20 of 21 Posts