New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my morning started off in disarray. After getting to bed later, much later than I would have liked to, I did not hear any of my THREE alarm clocks. I need to walk out the door at 4:30 in order to reach my spot before daylight. At 4:24 I opened my eyes for the first time, immediately jumped up and put one leg into my pants, the other as I was running out the door. I diaper wipe washed my face as I was driving, simply ran my fingers through my hair and sipped on the cold cup of coffee that was sitting in my van from yesterday. I thought as I was driving that today would be the day that I get one, as I had no time for any of my morning rituals, which usually take me about an hour.

So, I get to my spot in time, throw out a decoy and jump into the brush that I have become so familiar with lately. Within 5 minutes 4 birds start gobbling and not even 100 yards behind me. Yes, the SAME birds from yesterday, but I heard no hens. I sat there looking at my box call AND my slate call and struggled to NOT pick them up, but I was able to contain my desires, and DID NOT DO SO. The boyz gobbled away for about 15 minutes before flying down, and continued after they landed. When they landed, they were much closer than yesterday. They seemed to be wandering back and forth, MAYBE only 40 - 50 yards behind me. Again I struggled with the call issue, but let them sit in front of me.

About another 15 minutes passed and just as I was reaching for a call, holy begeez, SIX hens flew down in the field RIGHT in front of me, ONLY 10 yards AWAY. They had been roosting right above me but for whatever reason had remained silent and even after they landed, made no sound. Systematically, they spead 4-5 ft apart and slowly worked their way across the field. The boyz had stopped their gobbling when the hens landed.

Another 15 minuted passed, and when the hens were about halfway across the field, I noticed movement about 20 yards to my right coming out of the woods. It was 2 of the gobblers. I quickly tried to determine the larger of the two, but they both seemed about the same. As they were working their way toward my decoy, the lead tom started to put, so I pulled the trigger before waiting for any other birds to show themselves, an easy 15 yard shot put him down right where he stood.

18 pounds
9 3/4 inch beard
both spurs 1 1/8 inch each

NWTF Score 60

Although I did not use any calls today, these are the calls I generally use, hand made my NJPlotts, they are THE BEST !!!

And a funny thing is, that while I was taking these pictures, the tom that ran off was in the woods on one side of the field gobbling away, while the two that never showed were 30-40 yards away in the field closest to me answering him.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Hey Robin I told you yesterday that the stars were lining up for you and today would be the day!!!!!! Way to go girl! A well deserved congratulations!!!!
A really nice "Swinger" with some set of Hooks. a real trophy to be proud of!!!!! Now I am excited for hunting with my twin sons tomorrow and Thursday in P.A. I hope we have the same kind of success that you had today! YEAH:D!:D :D[up][up][up]

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Excellent! Way to go Robin[up]

Although I did not use any calls today, these are the calls I generally use, hand made my NJPlotts, they are THE BEST !!!
they are awesome calls[up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Robin congrats on a nice limb hanger[up][up][up] Great photos:D

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of your boys go hunting with you to take pics in the field?
I usually try to set up the pics myself if I am alone using anything I can find to place the camera on, but today, my gunshot woke up the property owner.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
great bird and aweswome story Ms Grit. thanks for sharing [up]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
[up]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you say ...B B D !
How about just L W H ?

( Little Woman Hunting [lol][lol] )

And Mike, I don't even remember feeling the 12 gauge kick :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Congrats! Nice bird[up][up]

1 - 20 of 77 Posts