·
0 Posts
I use:

Scent-AWAY LIQUID HAIR/BODY SOAP
SCENT-AWAY DEODORANT
SCENT-AWAY LAUNDRY SOAP, or there CARBON WASH for my carbon clothes
SCENT-AWAY FRESH EARTH WAFERS
SCENT-AWAY SPARY to kill human order

always allow the clothes to dry outside, and I put them into a clean plastic trash bag

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
--HS scent a way liquid shower soap-- unscented deodorant. Not sure what brand. Got it at Shop rite.
-- Hs Laundry Detergent.
-- Air dry clothes outside.
-- I don't usually use cover scent.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I use everything you listed, plus white lightning and carbon blast. Essence of fall w/ the earth scent wafers. Plus field wipes for sweating on way to stand. Throw in the silver lined base layer under scent-lok, and I'm ready to go.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I use all the above. spray the boots down and equipment before I get changed. I always change in the field. The towel,wash cloth and clothes I wear to my hunting grounds are all washed and scent free.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Shawnm, if your using carbon clean, then I'm asuming you have a scent-lok suit in which case you shouldn't use any cover scent or wafers because the suit will absorb these. If you don't have a carbon suit and are using the carbon cleaner than your wasting your money. Just use reg scent free det.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i use all the scent free soaps, problem is my friends uncle hunts in jeans, hooded sweatshirt, smokes in his stand and has some amazing trophies on his wall. How do you explain that?? Boggles my mind.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I shower before the hunt with any of several brands of hunting soap. I use unscented Secret deodorant not only on my pits, I try to spraypaint my whole body paying particular attention to the pits, crotch and butt crack.

I noticed a scent that comes from behind the ears so I bring alchol swabs to wash behind the ears periodically during the day. I also use those scent eliminatibg wash towels befor going on stand in the PM. Those towels can get expensive though.

I wash all my hunting cloths in Scent Killer then spray with Carbon Blast while still wet. I store these items in a scent proof bag I purchased on the Sportsman's Guide. I suspect normal garbage bags impart an odor. I am too cheap to buy the Scentloc stuff.

As I get dressed I spray each layer of clothes with Scent Killer. I spray the seat of my truck and the seat belt with the same. I also spray my bow, treestand, and trestand safety harness. I totally drench the wrist band of my release with Scent Killer. I wear knee high rubber boots that I also spray with Scent Killer. I only wear the boots in the woods.

While I don't throw scent concerns out the window when hunting with a firearm I relax the ritual somewhat.

While we are on the subject what precautions do you guys take if you have to take a dump or a leak? There are several schools of thought on this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I USE ALL OF THE ABOVE METHODS, BUT HUNTING DOWN HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE OFF SCENT. HAVE TO PLAY THE WIND DOWN HERE. CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO SOUTH JERSEY IN NOVEMBER. COOL WEATHER.

JOE

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
um, I'm probally the only guy here that will have a cigarette in the tree stand. I'm not talking chain smoking but I will have one just after I get all set up.Its kind of a ritual. I know I know what you are all going to say but I have shot alot of deer since I've been hunting and on a couple of occasions with the cigarette hanging out of my mouth( the deer caught me by surprise) as for sent control I hang my clothes outside, and store them in a rubbermaid container with leaves, plants dirt,est.. from my hunting area. ok let me have it:D

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I think I've got an OCD with how often I wash my camo. I wash them before each time I go out. I think if you hunt and sweat all day you have to wash your clothes before you go out each time. Right or wrong? How many of you guys wash your clothes each time you go out? Do you throw them back in the container or hang them out after each hunt? I know a guy that washes them once and puts them in a container in the back of his truck and leaves them there all season. Only time he washes them is when he gets deer blood on them.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I use all the scent free soaps / AP etc during hunting season.

I wash my clothes in baking soda and hang them to dry, then they go into a well aired out plastic tote with an Earth Scent wafer.

I get dressed in the field, spray myself down with Home made Scent elimination spray along with my stand and other gear. I wear rubber boots and they get sprayed inside and out. I also have a cloth that is damp with this spray that I carry in a zip lock to wipe down with once I am settled in the stand.

All of this, and then make sure the wind is blowing in my face away from where I would expect to see the deer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just use the wind, this is New Jersey. They are used to smelling people all day. Where they get you I do use a scent durring the rut, that is about all I use.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I use all the scent free soaps / AP etc during hunting season.

I wash my clothes in baking soda and hang them to dry, then they go into a well aired out plastic tote with an Earth Scent wafer.

I get dressed in the field, spray myself down with Home made Scent elimination spray along with my stand and other gear. I wear rubber boots and they get sprayed inside and out. I also have a cloth that is damp with this spray that I carry in a zip lock to wipe down with once I am settled in the stand.

All of this, and then make sure the wind is blowing in my face away from where I would expect to see the deer.
Basically the same ritual I do. Im curious as to the recipe for the home made cover scent. Wanna tell us?

Although, I'll admit that sometimes I forego all the scent reduction and just hunt soley the wind direction. Heck, Ive killed deer while smelling like a bag of old gym socks. (Just after work, or in camps where you cant bathe) So wind direction is the most important factor IMO.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The wind.

I usually get bored or a little cold and light up a cigarette at least once or twice in the stand. I also check wind direction with the smoke.

Go figure - That is usually when the deer usually show up!!!

I've actually flipped a cigarette butt at a deer to get it to move out from under my treestand so I could get a shot off with the bow!!! :p[smirk]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Scrubby I have been around alot of old timer's that will lean up against a tree, eating chips and smoke and the one thing they all do is hunt the wind....They all kill deer and they all say I'm crazy for trying my best to be sentless , which will never happen.....It make's you wounder is scent control over rated .....I would say yes ..I'm not saying it's ok to be stinky but I think are fore father's were not so worried about how they smelt.....
Hunt the wind..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts