New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear it, GSP or a Brittany?

Been juggling between the two. I have my heart set on getting one of the two as my first dog.
I do a lot of duck hunting, but this is because I do not have a dog that will enable me to do more of what i really love, woodcock hunting.
I want to hear some opinions on the two species!

I've hunted over pointers and springers so far and the convenient size of a spaniel is really appealing to me but i know that my style of hunting would certainly be better accompanied by a pointing breed.

I am young, but active, hunt a few days out of the week and with a dog i would chase timber doodles every single chance i got, only thing is i am out and about a lot, i'd want the dog to travel with me, hunt with me and sit by my side while i carve decoys in the off-season.

So please!, some opinions would really help, quail hollow and marjos brittany breeders are in-state and i have a connection to an upcoming pointer litter so i just wanna know! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Love my Marjos brits I have had 3 and really enjoy them. All mine have done navhda utility tests. For me I am just a sucker for the brittany face. But if I was duck hunting in January a larger framed dog would probably be better. My dog love timber doodles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have Gsp and wouldn't get any other dog he hunts ducks with me as well as woodcock great with kids too love them !!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Get a Griff![smoke]

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Love my Marjos brits I have had 3 and really enjoy them. All mine have done navhda utility tests. For me I am just a sucker for the brittany face. But if I was duck hunting in January a larger framed dog would probably be better. My dog love timber doodles.

What he said! [up]

I have a Britt and love em!

Marjos is the place!

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
It depends on what type of hunting you do and how big a dog you can handle. I owned three Brittany's and my Uncle, Brother, and friend owned GSP's. I hunted over each type of dog extensively. Both will find you birds but that is not the issue. If you hunt mostly heavy cover, the GSP would be at a disadvantage. If you have a small vehicle or living quarters, the smaller Brittany would be more convenient. Look at where you hunt and how you live and decide what dog works for you.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I had one good bird dog in my life (my only "bird" dog) - she was a GSP. Could not ask for a better house pet and better hunter. She was amazing on woodcock and very good on pheasants.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I owen two Brittany's they are great on woodcock, grouse and pheasants but if you what the dog that will also do ducks I would look at another breed.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
We've always had Brittanies. They point, retrieve, hunt hard, go through thick stuff. I like their compact size and make a great family dog. I've always gone with females as they are all business while in the field. I couldn't ask for anything more.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a GSP, Great Hunter,Great with other dogs. Really Great with kids. But the down side is, he is a wiener ,nonstop wining when he's not right next you. Drives the whole house nuts.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I have a GSP, Great Hunter,Great with other dogs. Really Great with kids. But the down side is, he is a wiener ,nonstop wining when he's not right next you. Drives the whole house nuts.
He is a "wiener". Hope he doesn't text photos of his penis to other dogs. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
For the type of hunting your into sounds like you would be better off with one of these... webbed feet for swimming, and they will also find birds in the field, short hair is way easier to manage after a day in the field, and your house will be cleaner. This is the breed I would be looking at if I were you. Weimaraner!!!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Let's hear it, GSP or a Brittany?

I do a lot of duck hunting,
Although those dogs are versatile, I would suggest doing some further research on some other breeds.

-German Wirehair Pointer
-Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
-Pudelpointer

The reason why I say this is, the Brittneys and GSPs (the ones I have hunted with, ran, or trained with) are a little high strung, and if nice steady smooth working dog, with the patience to sit along side you for waterfowl. I would heavily suggest looking into other breeds. Wirehair are ideal for chasing them timberdoodles in the thick stuff without risking scarring or giving up too much blood. The GWP, sounds exactly the type of dog you are looking for. But, please do some more homework. Also, the NAVHDA - Del-Val Chapter has some amazing versatile Brittneys and GSPs, plus other breeds to consider. Contact them as their training sessions are only a couple months away.

I know some people have great Brittneys, but for AKC Brittneys aren't required to retrieve (not saying they won't, cause I know many do) but due to smaller mouth, and lower to the ground stature retrieving larger game is not desirable.

Likewise, I have over great GSPs, but my gosh...their energy never runs out! I know some people who put in many hours, days, and years in training their GSP to be a waterfowl dog, but I feel they are so much better in the field.

These are my opinions, from the dogs I have personally worked with over the years.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Hard to say one of those two breeds is better than the other and that from a long time Brittany owner. Find a good breeding for either dog and go with that if you're still on the fence. Most Brittanies will do just fine retrieving ducks and I know mine just loves the water. Both great on wild grouse and woodcock and stocked pheasants are easy for any breed in my experience. Both do great with families. There are exceptions within any breed, so just know that going in. But you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had an English springer spaniel, she was great flushing and retrieving. Snow didn't bother her and could have cared less about the other dogs when she was in the field. Only issue we had with her was every once in awhile she would pounce on the birds she was flushing. It was actually funny coming home with 2 birds and not firing a shot. Overall if it wasn't for her flushing we would have come home empty handed a few times.

like any sporting dog you got to give them at least a good hour of exercise on off days and the off season. especially if you plan on keeping them in the house.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feel like this site is impartial to Brittany's, and for good reason, but between the two the GSP is the classic all around dog and one of the most popular breeds in this country for good reason. I had a wirehaired pointer who was a beast and recently passed away at 14 and now have a GSP pup (6 months) that I'm working. He's showing great potential, is big, ballsy, not afraid of water, and is pointing and retrieving for me (when he catches the birds I'm training him on). You also can't beat the crazy personality of a pointer if he's going to be a house pet, though they may make you nuts at times. If I was picking an all around breed it'd be a pointer hands down.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Avoid the Weimaraner like the plague!!!

I should know. My Gunnar is a great field dog, and I can't keep him out of the water...but man, there isn't a day I come home from the field and he doesn't have a new scar or bleeding. Skin is way to soft for the thick cover here in Jersey. Oh, he gets in the thick stuff for a bird, but will come out bleeding on the other side.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts