New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Black Duck is slowly being bred outta of existence.
The pic is a bit blurry, does the head have green in it? Or what is your clue this is a hybird?
Just trying to learn about all the details that make a black/mallard hybird.

·
Registered
713 Posts
True black ducks can and will have some white on the lower speculum.

The problem is not drake mallards mating with hen black ducks, its the blacks mating with the hen mallards. Mallards tend to prefer to stay with their own kind, the black ducks will stool on mallards though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
looks like pure black duck from picture...however it isn't a very good picture. White on bottom of speculum is ok. White on top of speculum is sign of mallard hybridization.

Thanks Dan I was waiting for somebody to catch that ....Figured I would've gotten chastised by pointing out that his statement was incorrect....

Reactions: smitytv

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Black Duck is slowly being bred outta of existence.
The pic is a bit blurry, does the head have green in it? Or what is your clue this is a hybird?
Just trying to learn about all the details that make a black/mallard hybird.
It's a bad pic but there was green in the head. It was a Cape May County bird. I usually get 2 or 3 hybrids each season. Third or fourth generation hybrids are not as obvious as first generation. I also shot a few banded hybrids years ago. One was banded in Canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.