New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out a new spot today and walked most of the woods and was only able to find one area with any buck sign. There was a few trees in the area that were rubbed up pretty high with tine marks and the one tree was about a 6 or 8 inch cedar so I am assuming that its a dominant buck. Not too far from that was a good sized scrape but I could only find one. I couldnt find any more for a scrape line. I figured this to be a good spot to set up on and i wondered how i should go about it. I never messed with using scents in an active scrape and wondered if this would be a good plan of action to take(buck pee, tinks 69, etc)? Also what type of calling would work to get his attention by his scrape? doe in estrus bleats (like the can call), grunts, some rattling? I'd appreciate some advice on what to do.

B

·
0 Posts
1st off did the scrape have a licking branch? It must have a licking branch, look at the branch if it does, see if the small twigs coming off the branch are broken, bent, or chewed on, if this is the case fine a good tree (with cover is best) within 20/30 yds. of that scrape. Get yourself some good doe in heat scent or Dominant buck scent, use a clean sterile scent wick thats soaked in the scent of your choosing, hang the wick 3' or 4' above the scrape, then pour some of that scent into the scrape itself. I only call if I see a deer, and he/she is heading away from me. The buck will be sneaky when coming into his scrape, he will come most likey from downwind, if he is coming in don't grunt let him come in on his own, cause if you grunt, know he is hunting you, he's looking for the buck who made the grunts, let him come in on his own, if he turns to walk away then grunt. Best of luck

Also use sterile gloves while using the scents, and try to be as scent free as you can be

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes there is a licking branch...thank you for your help. we'll see what happens next tuesday.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I agree with everything that BHC said. Thats exactly how you hunt a scrape.

However, in my neck of the woods, "it" seems to be starting already. No need to sit over scrapes anymore. Of course chances are they are going to be close to where you need to be anyway, so you can hunt near them. There is always a chance that they come to visit them. The bucks in my area are still cleaning out the breeding scrapes, and tearing up the overhanging branches, but they are really starting to troll and chase. I think they are cleaning out and checking the scrapes at night. Of course your area or BHC's area might not be into the chase phase yet.

If you go spotting at night, and you see big bucks chasing does, or if you witness it in the woods...try the following. Find doe bedding areas, and sit funnels/travel routes that lead into/out of them and you should see several bucks a day. They usually wait till mid morning when all the does are back in bed, then they come trolling through sniffing for a doe in estrous. If you're gonna call, try doe bleats (the can) and tending grunts. Some estrous scent works well too.

I didnt think this phase would start this early, it normally starts around the 7th, but I witnessed some BIG bucks "playing the rut game" yesterday. When the big boys start to chase, it usually means its getting closer to peak breeding. Which I think is actually the toughest time to hunt. Most bucks are tending does, and are impossible to call in, and almost impossible to find. They follow that doe EVERYWHERE she goes. When it gets to that point, try and call in does, they may have a big boy on their tail.

From chasing to breeding during the rut, HUNT the DOES! The bucks will be there![up][up]

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts