New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever have any luck hunting powerlines? 22 years and I have never hunted on or near them. Any suggestions? The surrounding area is all hardwoods and the powerlines are rugged to say the least. I'm still amazed that they were able to put those towers up in that terrain.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Bucks will scrape along the edges of the woods. Look for them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I shot a nice 8 once on opening day of shotgun some years back. This was in the Pine Barrens.

Set up at a know crossing and be there early. Once the pressure turns on you have a chance of a deer getting pushed across.

Chris

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
1.) Use sabot slugs and a shotgun with a fully rifled barrel.
2. post up on the side of the power line and give yourself plenty of shooting length on either side of you.

This gives you a chance to shoot 150+ yards in either direction.

I they cross anywhere within range you can shoot them.

This is what I did at least.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have power lines running through my property and the land i hunt,have never seen a mature buck anywhere near them during daylight,they also cut and spray them now so not much cover.Night time is a different story.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I know a few people who have had good success just inside the woodlots near them.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
You might want to see what kind of activity is going on before you set up there. In Hunterdon at least they have been trimming like crazy ever since the storms. It would suck to be sitting in your stand and have a forestry crew roll in 50 yards away and start sawing.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Any opening like that is good. You have to be ready though. Bucks walk along the edges and does will come out and graze late in the afternoons.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I wouldn't try it the area I'm hunting, by october the deer stop showing up in feilds and open areas during daylight, but there's a place by me where one side is thick swamp and the other open woods, clubs drive the open woods and I'm sure you can catch a buck heading across into the thick stuff

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
They create pinch points, big bucks avoid them but they will travel the sides, if you can find a spot where brush has grown across them that's the place you'll see a deer path crossing.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Powerlines are always good . They provide breaks in the woods with grass and new growth witch is always good. They also provide easy access to areas and that means more hunters. As always be sure you can hunt there first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts