New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out today checking out some public land and every time I get to a corner or a place to setup, someone has left their hang on stand with climbing sticks chained to the trees. I always respect others belongings and have no problem with people "claiming a tree" , but then I thought why not hunt out of these stands if no one is hunting them on public land? I've never done it before but it would sure beat lugging in my climber then looking for a new tree.

What say you?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I say if it's not yours, unless you have specific permission from the owner, then don't touch it !!!

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone else"s stuff. Bring your climber. In my opinion fixed stands shouldn't be allowed on WMA's. It's not their tree or spot. I went to set up on a tree I've been on before only to find a cheap lock-on 2 trees away, with no one in it[mad] Am I supposed to guess when they will be there? I've been hunt these woods and specific trees for more than 2 decades and now there's a person hunting just about every tree I've established as "worth hunting from".[wallmad]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I always assumed that other people were hunting from my stands left on WMA's, and I sometimes saw evidence they were. Happens on private ground too.

I don't hunt from other stands, but if I moved everytime someone else set up near me, I'd spend all my time moving to other spots and not much time hunting. The woods are very crowded, and it's only getting worse. But hey, that's what they wanted and we were all told how great that would be for the sport of bowhunting. [eyeroll]

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
i use a viper public is public cause a guy hangs his stand doesnt mean im not hunting the area one spot i hunt i been hunting for years last year a hang on and feeder well if hes in there first its his spot other wise its public land and i see lots of home made ladder stands for one they arent legal on public land and the co catches you in one wheather you built it or not you get a ticket they rip them out regularly but they still get put up

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
i see lots of home made ladder stands for one they arent legal on public land and the co catches you in one wheather you built it or not you get a ticket they rip them out regularly but they still get put up
Get to know your CO and tell him where it's at. They know what to do with them.[up]

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
HUNT IT IF YOU CAN GET IN IT FREE SET UP. THEN LEAVE THE WAY YOU FOUND IT. Leave a note thanking them for the deer you shot from it as well.:p

That is if it was a doe because if it was a buck no need to wash their face in it.:D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Get to know your CO and tell him where it's at. They know what to do with them.
i dont think it should be a crime to set a ladder stand up for 2 or 3 months out of the year. with some simple rules like first come first serve whats the big deal? most ladder stands steel or wood weigh like 80 lbs and up. it sucks dragging these things around and the safety aspect of setting these things up in the dark too. the state should allow stands to be set up just like they do in the county park hunts. ingrave a serial number on the stand and require a name and address tag.its nice to start hunting not all sweatted up and to be able to drive home without an hour tear down and walk out.as you get older things like having a stand already set up is a nice thing.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Back in the olden days when people used nail on stands many stands were used for one year then abandonded. I used stands back then that were obviously abandonded. Sometimes I woukld repair or refurbish them.

Using someone's lock on is another story. That is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i dont think it should be a crime to set a ladder stand up for 2 or 3 months out of the year. with some simple rules like first come first serve whats the big deal? most ladder stands steel or wood weigh like 80 lbs and up. it sucks dragging these things around and the safety aspect of setting these things up in the dark too. the state should allow stands to be set up just like they do in the county park hunts. ingrave a serial number on the stand and require a name and address tag.
i agree we dont have a differant conservation number every year any more now its the same you can use ladder stands on state parks and forest property any way never heared that was illegal the wooden ones yea i wouldnt use legal or not

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
the law says no perminent tree stands if its ataches to the tree by nails or screws you are breaking the law so if anyone on this site is useing them expect to get ticketed your not allowed srew in steps ither
but see lots of those aswell read the regs its all clear as day a ladder stand that is store baught and chained to the tree is legal; but not home made wooden ones cause they get nailed to the tree and arent portable and the county parks dont allow them aswell as land trust you can leve your stand in the woods but it must be portable

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
they make climbers that weigh 11 lbs. If that is too heavy to pack in and out, what are you gonna do with a 90 lbs deer you shoot!!! If it's not yours, leave it alone. If lugging a lightweight climber is too much work, I suggest you join a gym or take up golf instead.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
i dont think it should be a crime to set a ladder stand up for 2 or 3 months out of the year. with some simple rules like first come first serve whats the big deal?
Nothing wrong, but there are stands, lock-ons and ladder stands that have been up for more then 2 years, 1 stand has been up over 5.[sad]. I try to avoid people while hunting but for me to stay away from a spot that has a stand hung and never see someone or don't know when they will be there just plain sucks.[down] Excuse me for bitching, but now that xbows are legal the woods are over run with hunters that would not ordinarily be there. And there are plenty of rotting deer carcasses as to not be quit a coincidence.[down]

·
Registered
828 Posts
y are u guys like that, if the guy put his time in to find a spot and hang a stand, then he beat ya too it, do your own scouting, hang your own stands, dont use someone elses' setup cuz your too lazy to do it yourself, i hunt the same tree every year, my father hunted it and my grandfather hunted it,there has been s stand in that tree for more than 25 years, i showed up one day and there was a guy sitting in it smoking a cigar with a flintlock (GOOD IDEA) he tried to tell me it was his treestand then i told him, thet i have the key to his stand. nice try.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts