New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was hoping someone could verify something for me. I understand that as a requirement to use one of the shooting ranges in one of the Wildlife Management Areas, I need to have a hunting license. My question is, what kind of license do I need? Is it the Resident Firearm Hunting License for $27.50 that's listed on the NJDEP website? I'm not actually planning to hunt, I simply want to go to the shooting range and practice target shooting with a .22LR. I took the NJ hunter education course two years ago, so I'm eligible to get a hunting license. Also, DEP's website says that all licenses expire at the end of the calendar year, so if that's the case then it seems to make sense for me to wait until January 1 to purchase a license, no? Otherwise if I bought it now, I'd be paying the annual fee for two weeks worth of use.

Sorry for the noob questions, and thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Resident Firearm Hunting License
thats all you need, NO .22 handguns allowed FYI wait for the new 2012 Lis. if you get one now your going to have to get one in 3 weeks....agian[up][up][up][smoke]

·
Registered
601 Posts
I only ask, because I've been to flatbrook three times in the last month. I have yet to see anyone ask for a license.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The 2012 license will be available Dec 15. But you cannot use it at the WMA until Jan 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen - thanks for the quick responses.

Cransiear - I plan on going to the range in Clinton.

Twowitken - You're not kidding about the CO visit. I've been shooting at the Clinton shotgun clay range for about three years now and I've never seen anyone on the range checking licenses. I've always gone with a friend who has his license so we were fine. But sooner or later I know someone will be checking for them. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I have been checked a few times. It is not often but eventually C.O will stop by while you are there.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
You need a license but I dont know about the rifle, is it legal to shoot a 22 LR at the wma range. Besides the muzzy most rifles are not allowed. Who can answer this part, not the odds that you will be caught without a license part[wallmad]

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You need a license but I dont know about the rifle, is it legal to shoot a 22 LR at the wma range. Besides the muzzy most rifles are not allowed. Who can answer this part, not the odds that you will be caught without a license part
1st off WHAT TF?, yes .22 can be shot @ the "rifle"range's Not "SHOTGUN"range's and "MUZZY" can be shot @ the "RIFLE"range's. NOT THE SHOTGUN RANGE's CLAYS ONLY[rofl][rofl][rofl][up][up][smoke][drinking]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, even I knew that. No centerfire rifles allowed. Aside from muzzleloaders, it would appear the .22 is about the only thing you can shoot at the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts