New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets hear it!

I usually carry three.
Two spydercos and one gut-hook skinner (Buck).

The spydercos have a good serrated edge for bones and branches. Why two? I've lost a pocket knife here and there. If I loose the bigger blade, these sharpies could suffice in a pinch.

The Buck gut skinner is an old relic. Time for a new one.

Does anyone pack a butcher kit?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
All i use is a buck 110.

Model 110
Folding Hunter®

The most copied knife in the world--the original lockback folding knife. Br [no swearing please] bolsters, liners and rivets. Classic wood handle. Sheath included.

Category End Use: Hunting, fishing, camping, outdoor use
Weight: 7.2 oz. (204 g.)
Handle Material: Natural woodgrain
Carry System: Black leather sheath
Blade Steel: 420HC
Length Closed: 4 7/8" (12.4 cm.)
Blade Length: 3 3/4" (9.5 cm.)
Blade Shape: Clip
Knife Type: Folding, Lockback

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I carry in one of the following two knives:

Gerber Magnum LST - excellent folding knife - can be bought for $20 on Ebay

Smith and Wesson - folding knife w/2 blades (1 full serrated blade & 1 full non-serrated blade)

David

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I've used a ton of knives but my current "main blade" is the Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader. I like it because it's got a huge gut hook.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Buck 110 and my hands if you do it right you can just pick up the hind legs and roll over and everything comes out.:D:D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
The key I have found in my limited experience is that no matter what knife you use, it's got to be sharp.

David

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
http://www.cabelas.com/

Buck Pro-Line Zipper™ Knife
Buck Pro-Line Zipper™ Knife Item: XF-610346
Price: $59.99 - $64.99

Blade-within-a-blade design makes old gut hook styles obsolete. The super-sharp 1/4" second blade virtually eliminates snagging and fouling (by hair, etc.). Excellent for field dressing big game. Wood handle with br [no swearing please] butt and guard, comes with a leather sheath. Textured rubberized handle comes with Cordura Plus® sheath. Serrated Blade.
Blade length: 4-1/8".
Overall length: 8-1/2".
Handle: Rubberized, Wood.

Gerber Outdoorsman Axes
Item: IF-511868
Price: $34.99 - $39.99

Gerber Outdoorsman Axes

Whether you are cutting firewood, trimming branches for your outfitter tent, or dressing a big-game animal, these axes will do the job and not weigh you down on the pack in. The hollow handles, made of high-tech, super-tough, Polymid fiberglass, make these axes lightweight, yet durable. The handles are so tough they can withstand direct blows from a sledgehammer. The high-carbon steel ax heads are securely molded into the handles. All come with a limited lifetime warranty.
The Sport Ax with its smaller size is ideal for hikers and backpackers, and still has plenty of power for big jobs.
Available:
Sport Axe - 13-7/8" overall

Coghlan's Sierra Saw
Coghlan's Sierra Saw Item: QS-514314
Price: $9.99

Compact, lightweight and incredibly sharp, this is the ultimate saw for slipping in a hunting pack or the back pocket of your work pants. Ideal for cutting firewood, trimming branches, field-dressing big game or chores around the house.
Weight: 5-1/2 oz.
Blade length: 7".
Overall length open: 16".
Closed: 9-1/2".

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a COLD STEEL MASTER HUNTER. I'll never switch ! I't holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. I can field dress 5 deer before it needs sharpening. It has a rubberized handle ( won't slip with bloody hands ), with a hard plastic sheath. Besides a strap to hold it in the sheath, it also snaps in so that if the strap comes undone, the knife is still secure.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Browning Kodiak F.D.T. the BEST all around knife around I've gutted proabaly over 75 deer with my origanal one 2 blade. Knives are amazing I bnought a new one last year just in case they stop making them. about $75.00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts