New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
idk. i never hunted water holes. this year i was invited to hunt on the deleware with a new friend..he has a chocholate lab.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Dogs make it much easier... but you need a big one to retrieve geese. I've always had labs in the 60 to 75 pound range and they have a little trouble with long goose retrieves... no matter how strong their jaws are, they still can't hold that weight up too long. My younger one is 95lbs... I don't think he'll have too much of a problem, but we'll see. If you don't have a dog, you can still make the retrieves yourself. It's a pain pulling the boat out everytime though... I would get yourself a kayak or something like that. I have one of these.

http://www.attbar.com/aquapod/gallery/pages/photo7.htm

It's called an aquapod. I have the ten footer and it's perfect to hunt small water. I can fit me, my gear, my dog, and a few dekes in it. I've actually had me, both my dogs, and my wife in it and it still wouldn't take on water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You could also pick up a grapple hook and after you down the bird, cast it out and reel-um-in! Some sport shops sell them specificaly for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hunting from a canoe is the easiest - Car top it in, launch, lay out your decoys, tie up to the bank of the lake, put burlap camo over the canoe and sit on boat cushions on the floor of the canoe - make sure your centered/stable, start calling, and enjoy the shoot. Pick your decoys and birds up when your done using a combo paddle/boat hook - plenty of room for everything !!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts