New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
mack, i just put in a ground blind in my woods, if you have the right terrain it could be deadly. but no sense in putting a ground blind in a section of hardwoods when you could use a treestand, overgrow feilds are a diff story. sometimes you have to get up close and personal to get those deers..using mine tommorrow morning, almost hand to hand combat, gotta love it:D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
but no sense in putting a ground blind in a section of hardwoods when you could use a treestand
NO Sense???? Wow your way off I have a ground blind in hard woods, and it makes good sense. This late in the season deer are starting to look up for danger. A Good ground blind will help in the late seasons too. Warmer on the ground then in a tree.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one today. The Eastmen outfitters Carbon blocker blind with the Safri system. So we will see how we make out. The warm thing is a plus!!!!! TO cold in the tree's

·
11,226 Posts
Ground blinds , tree stands they both work well in NJ! Hell this guy Mike I hunt with just stands in the woods. No tree stand no ground blinds he just stands next to a tree! He kills a ton of deer doing that too!!!![confused]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have a spot in the area I hunt with tons of rubs on 3-4" trees. There are no suitable trees for a climbing tree stand in a 100yd radius. There is a natural blind there, but the location doesn't provide much of a shot window. A portable blind would be just the ticket.

The down side you need to be double careful about wind direction and your scent. I once had a **** join me in a ground blind that was no fun. Also snakes ticks et.al are an issue.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Get a good cover scent, the best one is to get leaves,branchs and boil them in Distilled water ( well water )until the water is brown in color. cool and put in spray bottle. or if there is Fox or Raccoon in the area use their pee cover scent.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I once had a **** join me in a ground blind that was no fun.
LMAO!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
a ground blind is the way to go if you can't find a tree that will support a stand. a good place is in a hedge row, near cedars or brush so that the outline is broken up.

·
Registered
971 Posts
njhunting - I looked up the stand you mentioned and the center height is only a little over 5 foot. Do you kneel when taking a shot?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts