New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear about funny, crazy, wacky, silly or just plain unbelievable things hunters and anglers have done or things that have happened while hunting or fishing or getting ready to hunt or fish or after the hunt or fishing trip ect.ect...Like this one, One time when I was squirrel hunting in late October I had just shot a squirrel and went to retrieve him in a grape vine thicket. After finding the squirrel I laid my gun down, took out my knife and started to clean him. While down on my knees I heard what I thought was someone whispering. When I turned my head I found my nose 6 inches from a 5 point bucks nose! I had just shot the gun 2 minutes before and was making all kinds of noise! The last thing I expected was a deer in my face. He must have been deeeep in the rutting mode and if I hadn't turned my head when I did I may have found out what those does feel like during the rut! I actually thought he was going to bite me at one point but he just sniffed my arm! When I stood up (shaking like a leaf) he just walked away slowly. No care in the world! I couldn't even hunt anymore that day. I was totally freaked out! Or this one time when I drove an hour to do some rabbit hunting only to find when I got there that I had left the key to my trigger lock on my kitchen table! DOH!... Do you guys have any stories like these? If so I'd love to hear them. I have a few others but I would like to see some of yours first. I don't want to make myself look like too much of an idiot yet. I hardly know you guys...LOL....Have fun...Jim [up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Jim, You will like this one. One day me and 2 friends decided to go Rabbit hunting on my property in Lafayette and we were doing okay you know missing allot but seeing allot. Well anyway we got to the top field and it is setup like this, woods then a rock wall then a path then ceders going down a hill.

Well anyway what happened was cause we did not have a dog we would flush the rabbits out for one another. I was walking the rockwall my one buddy was going through the thicket and his bro walking the trail. Well my buddy in the thicket was stuck in briars and was on his hands and knees getting all ticked off cause he could not get out of the pickers he was stuck in. So I was at the end of the thicket waiting for him when all of the sudden I saw something coming really fast through the thicket on it's hands and knees when a Bear pops out not 2 feet in front of me. So I picked up the gun and pointed it right at it's head and just then it ran back into the thickets right onto the trail that my buddy who was on his hands and knees was on and I heard this loud scream from the thicket, it was my buddy the Bear ran into him nose to nose while he was stuck on his knees with no gun. There noses actually touched. Then the bear cut towards the path where his brother was and ran right towards his brother. When my buddy got out of the thickets he actually had a wet spot in his pants. That bear made him piss himself. Man that was a day I will never forget. I was LMAO. :D

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO!!!!!!! Thats GREAT! Thats what I'm talking about!!! I love these stories!!![up][up]
I posted a thread like this a couple years ago on another board and there were some funny and crazy stories! One guy slipped off a wet log into an icy stream, Another hooked himself in the butt fly fishing...I can't wait to read some more from the Jersey crowd!!!!
Great story Hkdon![up][up] My wife is cracking up right now!!:D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Two springs ago, my family made a trip up to Lake Placid NY for my niece's Baptism around April/May. My brother-in-law had grown up there trout fishing all of the streams in the surrounding area. Well, one day the three of us (him, my brother, and myself), went to do some fishing. About 1/2 way through, we were crossing a stream about knee deep when my brother slipped and landed on his butt. When icy cold water hit his back, you had to see the look on his face. It was absolutely priceless.

David

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I shot my fist buck late in the afternoon on my family's property in PA. I was so excited. I found the deer and gutted him. It was dark now. I then dragged him down to the parking area and loaded the deer. I was just about to drive away when I realized I left my shotgun in the woods.

Luckily I found it with the flashlight.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
We were was fishing for salmon in Pulaski NY at Douglaston salmon run. Douglaston is an area where you have to pay $20.00 to fish. They give you a sticker to put on your vest and it's privately patroled by these Nazi morons who claim that you are snagging salmon if you move your rod too quickly.

Anyway, my friend was wading a little over knee deep in the river when he slipped on the rocks and started to be carried downstream. He was right next to one of the Nazi rangers who didn't even think about giving him a hand. The rest of us were laughing so hard we were of no help. He continued to struggle as he was being taken downstream. He lost his rod (which we got back) and even his fishing vest. He finally struggles to shore and starts getting out of his water filled waders when Mr. Nazi ranger comes over and asks him where his ticket was. My friend tells him it was in his vest, which is now half way to Lake Ontario. The Nazi ranger then kicks him out for not having a p [no swearing please] even though he just checked him prior to his swimming fiasco. He had to go all the way up to the guard shack and pony up another $20.00 so he can keep fishing for the rest of the day.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Last year I was hunting with a recurve and a nice DOE came out of the brush. It was about 20 yards from me eating. I drew my bow back and then released the arrow. The arrow was gooding right to the target, til it made a quick left turn and cut the hair off the deer's tail.. After the deer ran off I climbed down and looking around to see why the arrow flew like it did, I saw a cut branch.. It was about a foot or so from where the deer was.. BUmmer

Later that same year I had to get a new bow the riser on the recurve had a crack in it. I got a take down long bow. About 2 weeks later I was setting and waiting for it to get light out when this nice 10 point buck walks just past my stand. He stopped at a tree and was eating the leaves. I started to draw my bow and the BAMMMMMM, The bow broke, the top limb came apart at the riser and the top limb flew past my head. The buck didn't even move it was just looking up at me. It looked like the buck was smileing and saying to himself.. hahahah Your bow broke you dumb human....Other then those 2 ( the ones I'll tell anyone about ) nothing else happen to me as in bloopers. ( yeah Right )[smirk]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
HAHAHAHA...good stories guys.

I cant think of any right now, but I can remember dumb things Ive done.

Get all set up in the stand, and settled in, and realize I forgot my release aid in the truck. DOH! Done that once or twice...Too far to go out and come back so you just go back...:(

Forgot my quiver at home once. Kinda hard to shoot a bow with no arrows. DOH!

I leave those little screw in bowholders up in trees all the time. I can never remember to unscrew it until my feet have hit the ground and all the steps, or the stand is undone from the tree. DOH!

Forgot to nock an arrow a few times. I find myself sitting there when all of a sudden deer filter into view, and look down realizing the arrow is in the quiver hangin on the tree. DOH!

I now have a saying or mantra that I recite before I leave the house, and once again before I leave the truck for the woods. RELEASE AID, QUIVER, BOW! Those are the only things I need to kill a deer, and as long as I have them, Im ok!:D

Oh, Ive forgotten to bring my camo in the scent-lok bag...Standing in the woods in my long-johns is kind of embarrassing, especially when you walk in, in the dark, but have to come back to the truck in daylight! DOH!

Thats about it for now, but there are other bloopers Im sure!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Was way up in the Adirondacks fishing when we had to cross a swampy looking part of a pond. The water seemed shallow and the first guy made it across no problem. However, I took one step off the bank with all my weight and actually went over my head! It seemed that there was a hole in one spot that was about 6 feet deep off the bank and these other guys just were missing it. I basically jumped back onto the bank as the water was a little swampy and I actually never touched bottom. Pretty funny yers later.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
When I was about 15 or 16 I shot my second deer with a bow. I decided to gut it and drag it out so my dad didnt have to do it. When my father came out to the truck I had told him I had shot a doe, and did everything by myself. He was all proud, but when he looked at the deer, he realized i had shot a button buck!!! He asked if i even realized it had male genitals when i gutted it, but i was so excited I never even payed attention.

My second story would be hooking hkdonfishn in the head, but you all know that story!!!!!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Last year while on my Montana Elk hunt, my guide and I came upon a deep ravine that we needed to cross. My guide decided to slide down the edge for a bit ending in a 10 foot drop. I decided to cross a small rock ledge to a glently slooping path to the bottom.Wrong choice ! Halfway across, the rock ledge gave way, and down I went. Afterwards we estimated I fell/slid/tumbled over 40 feet. True to all my training, I protected my gun. With my right arm and hand clutching my gun, I flew through the air in what seemed like slow motion. What I didn't do was tuck in my left arm, and HAND. Somewhere between point A and point B, I broke two fingers on my left hand. Index and ring fingers. But the gun was fine! The guide asked me if I wanted to go to the Medical Center. Twenty eight miles on horseback to the road, 20 miles in a truck to the lodge, then a 2 hour drive to the Hospital. My response, as the true hardcore hunter that I am, was that I shoot right handed and that I was here to hunt. So 2 sticks and some duck tape, and I was on my way. Everytime I dismounted my horse, I stuck my hand in the snow. And this happened the first day of a 7 day hunt. Did you ever try to mount a horse with one hand ? But I did get an Elk 4 days later. And the day after that a nice 10 pt. whitetail. So the story did have a happy ending. I'm sure I'll remember that fall everytime, it rains and my fingers throb :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
my hunting buddy just got a new double barrel shotgun with ONE TRIGGER. well the first day he used it hes sittin on his fold up chair in some cedars when a doe comes in, it was to his left so he turns his body on the chair and shoots. both barrels went off, missed the deer, flew backwards and the chair broke. it was the funniest thing to see him walking to the truck with parts of his chair in his hand and snow all over him. we still dont know how both barrels went off with only one trigger on the gun

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Here is a good one...A friend of mine rented an apartment and the landlord and family lived upstairs...He kept all of his hunting clothes in garbage bags after washing them in scent free detergant...So one day after a morning sit he put his clothes back in his bags but left them in the garage...So the landlord saw them and of course thought they were garbage and tossed them out..

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was trout fishing in the Catskills by myself one day and my lure (some small Mepps spinner) get's snagged in the stream. So of course instead of trying to wade over and get it out I decide to just twist up some line in my hand and yank back as hard as I can - I was expecting the line to break. Instead the lure comes loose and flys back at my head at mach speed nailing me in the right ear. The treble hook as in there good and I ended up having to cut the line and walk 2 miles back to my car with my new Mepps Earing so I could do some field surgery in front of the side mirror on my Jeep. The only saving grace was 1. it wasn't my eye 2. I was alone.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I forgot about this one....I went pheasant hunting with my father and grandpop, about 4 years ago, Make a long story short, after we were all done hunting i had two in the bag and my pop had 2 as well, so I kept the birds in my vest and just put the vest in my hitch hauler. I drove about 15 miles on the highway and got within 1 mile of my house. I was sitting at the light and some guy behind me was blowing the hell out of his horn. So i look in my rearview, and to my disbelief, I saw one of my pheasants running across the median, and get wacked by a car. Here one of them was still alive!!!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
In the span of three days i lost two pairs of expensive ray ban sunglasses. The first i lost as i was reaching over the side of the boat to fill a bucket of water. They were on top of my head and just went plop right in front of my face. There was nothing i could do as they sank ot of reach. I proceeded to invest in another pair that evening and i lost those two days later on the ride in from fishing. agin they were on top of my head. We were flying in trying to beat a thunderstorm when my glasses flew off the top of my head. I turned around to watch them bounce off the transom and into the bay. needless to say i am much more careful when i wear sunglasses on the boat.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts