New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of dogs do you guys have? i was curious as to what you think is the best all around breed for small game hunting? i have a weimaraner and a pointer. my dogs

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a German Shorthaired Pointer and my brother has a Weimeraner. The GSP is gunshy and recently developed a major heart problem (9 yrs old) so he doesn't hunt anymore. But the Weimeraner is awesome she has a very strong nose and will hold point all day long. Only problem with her is she has a bit of a hard mouth on retrieves.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I have a 12 week old English pointer

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I used to have a Chocolate Lab. He did a great job on pheasants. He had a problem though...he thought he wad a Rotwieler when it came to other dogs anf kids. He died prematurly from a congenital heart defect.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i miss my GSP..[sad] i put her down in January. she was 14. she was an awesome pointer.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
had a GSP for a long time great pointer and then i had two begales great rabbit dogs. do not have any right now sure miss them

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If all goes well, I'll have a Vizsla in November.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
230grain hollowpoint, i see alot of brittanys when i go to whittingham...they are great..if you are looking for a new dog i would recomend getting one...i beleive they were hunting dog of the year...correct me if im wrong guys.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Had to put down my 7 year old GSP last Sept. Great upland hunter. Presently training a 2 year old english pointer and trying to tame down a hyper 3 year old english setter. The best type is the one that fits your needs. Older hunters like brits because they tend to hunt close. setters usually range but can hold a point. labs are usually flushing type. Maintenance is another problem, short hair dogs are easier to keep. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I have a yellow lab that can flush pheasants and retrieve ducks.More importantly,he is a great companion and family dog!
My buddy has a Yellow - about 4 years old - took him pheasant hunting 2 seasons ago. First time out he just wanted to sniff around, second time much better.

We did an early season semi-wild, too hot for any dog, but in the winter this dog was game all day.
Amazing -the dog was never trained and flushes with the best of em. Gets better with each hunt.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Those of you that had GSPs, I know they are great in the field, but how are they at home? I have 2 acres fenced in (we have a big teddy bear rottie right now) but we have also been interested in GSPs. I have heard they are really high energy? How easily trained for say pheasants? I am thinking recurve and fluflus.

-dan

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
GSP are high energy...2 acres is great for them. They are great around the house and with kids. She was an awesome dog.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've had English Setters and a Brit. Both are great family dogs as well as hunting dogs. I used a Brit to guide quail hunts in FL, he was great on singles after the covies were busted. If I had to pick one it would be a setter. Smart and easier to train. Great with my kids and always eager to please.

I purchased the setter I have now from a breader in PA, DeCoverly Kennels. Nice clean opperation and awesome bloodlines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts